Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2088425 - 07/15/16 10:05 PM Tastes and smells that make you remember something
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Mowing the yard before the rain arrives and it's sweltering. Picked a ripe tomato and took a big bite. The fruit itself must have been 90 degrees and the juice felt warm running down my chin. All of a sudden, I remembered being an 8 year old Indiana farm boy who would go into the house, get the salt shaker and walk out to the 1/2 acre garden looking for my quarry. Priceless. grin

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2088427 - 07/15/16 10:11 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Elwood P. Dowd
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
That's great!

I tell my husband that my favorite part about going hunting is the smell of the sage. It reminds me of going out with my dad and grandpa when I was little to scout for deer, pheasant, and grouse. As soon as we sit down in our spot to wait for the sun to come up, I'm instantly transported back in time!

Return to Top
#2088438 - 07/16/16 04:01 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Busy Bee, CRCM
Cape Codder Offline
Gold Star
Cotton candy. One whiff and I'm right back to my childhood riding the ferris wheel and the tilt-a-whirl at the local county fair.

Return to Top
#2088449 - 07/18/16 12:00 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Elwood P. Dowd
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
The smell of the ocean transports me back to the summers I spent as a kid.

Return to Top
#2088457 - 07/18/16 12:36 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Elwood P. Dowd
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
The smell of ripening muscadine grapes reminds me of:

The I Love Lucy Show when she was stomping grapes and got into the grape slinging match in Italy, and
My uncle's farm in early fall when he also made wine, (but with a press).

Return to Top
#2088473 - 07/18/16 01:16 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Elwood P. Dowd
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
when I smell dirty socks it reminds me to change my socks...thankfully I've never felt the need to taste them sick

Return to Top
#2088493 - 07/18/16 01:53 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Elwood P. Dowd
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Lavender transports me to the summer between my junior and senior year of high school. I've never had another summer where I was so carefree.

Return to Top
#2088500 - 07/18/16 02:05 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Elwood P. Dowd
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Certain laundry scents (I think it's Tide) remind me of the first day of school each year. Still makes my stomach turn.

I hated the first day of school.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2088504 - 07/18/16 02:10 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Elwood P. Dowd
crzy2rtrn Offline
crzy2rtrn
TX
Ken, we used to carry those little "picnic" salt shakers in the pockets of our shorts while playing at our grandparents farm in Missouri. Throughout the day, we'd go to the huge garden, grab a snack - tomato, turnip, carrot, berries, etc. and munch away. Nothing compares to the taste of those fresh fruits and veggies. Such great memories!!!!

Return to Top
#2088528 - 07/18/16 03:11 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Elwood P. Dowd
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
The smell of a freshly plowed field or freshly mown grass, the buzz of insects, ALL remind me of the summers spent with my grandparents on their farm. Taking those long walks with my grandpa, he would pull up a sweet potato and slice it up for us to munch on or pull up a bunch of peanuts for us to munch on while we walked and talked.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2088539 - 07/18/16 03:44 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Elwood P. Dowd
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
When I am in a crowd, occasionally I will smell the cologne that my great uncle wore when I was a kid, I have no idea what it's called, but it must be a classic since it's still around. I remember being in awe of him as I only would see him once a year or so. He was from Detroit (the big city) and later moved to his cottage on Lake Huron after he retired. He used to work in the auto plants for Chrysler and always had a big fancy car. He always had fascinating stories (at least for me as a kid). Looking back on it now, the man really had a heart of gold for those who knew him as I did; however, to hear him speak most people today would say he was extremely racist. It was a real example of his words not matching his actions. I swear that Clint Eastwood's character in Grand Torino was based on this uncle. If he were alive today, I'm sure I (as a child) would be forbidden from hanging out with him and he would be condemned by a lot of people. I'm glad I grew up when I did because my exposure to him didn't make me turn out racist and taught me a lot. Not all life's lessons are learned by positive examples, I took my lessons from him through his deeds and not his words.

Return to Top
#2088540 - 07/18/16 03:52 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Elwood P. Dowd
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Old Spice aftershave...Reminds me of my Father

Return to Top
#2088544 - 07/18/16 04:04 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Elwood P. Dowd
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
The smell of a skunk or stinkweed reminds me of my days hauling alfalfa bales. I've vowed to find a rancher for my son to haul hay for when he is old enough. The practice will show you what a hard days work is.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2088564 - 07/18/16 04:57 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Elwood P. Dowd
doodles Offline
Gold Star
doodles
PA
Soccer - same for me. My dad has been gone for awhile but a whiff of Old Spice brings back memories.

Return to Top
#2088565 - 07/18/16 05:07 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something doodles
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
The plastic smell of a new shower curtain liner reminds me of Christmas morning and plastic toys.

Return to Top
#2088569 - 07/18/16 05:25 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something 'Lil Freak!
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
I am afraid. I was thinking of the new plastic smell reminding me of Christmas morning. Santa would give me a new doll, which was always the favored toy among everything else. I am nervous now. What do you think it means when one begins to think like Freak? eek

Return to Top
#2088577 - 07/18/16 05:38 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Elwood P. Dowd
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
It means that next...you will be jumping out of CAKES! laugh!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2088581 - 07/18/16 05:42 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Elwood P. Dowd
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
laugh laugh laugh blush

Return to Top
#2088601 - 07/18/16 06:23 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Elwood P. Dowd
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
The smell of a turkey cooking reminds me of all the times I got really hungry because of the smell of a turkey cooking...ahhh, memories...

Return to Top
#2088615 - 07/18/16 06:53 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Elwood P. Dowd
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
The smell of burning kerosene or diesel will give you a flashback to Vietnam and napalm....

Return to Top
#2088620 - 07/18/16 07:00 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Elwood P. Dowd
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
wow - a minion sighting...hey minion - how goes it?

Return to Top
#2088780 - 07/19/16 04:44 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something The Minion
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Originally Posted By The Minion
laugh laugh laugh blush

We can jump out together smile

Return to Top
#2088935 - 07/20/16 02:35 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Elwood P. Dowd
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
The smell of freshly baked bread reminds me of the Schafer bread factory on the south end of my hometown when I was very young. The aroma was heavenly.

Return to Top
#2088980 - 07/20/16 04:32 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Elwood P. Dowd
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
The smell of meat sauce and garlic bread reminds me of my grandparents' house. It was either already in the works or my grandmother could whip up a batch almost instantly. And if you went over there and were not hungry, you still better be ready to eat. smile

(Yes, they were Italian. Why do you ask?) wink

Return to Top
#2088984 - 07/20/16 04:41 PM Re: Tastes and smells that make you remember something Elwood P. Dowd
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
The smell of a four-cycle engine starting up reminds me of going out on the boat with my dad as a kid. smile I always loved that smell.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2