Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2088924 - 07/20/16 01:55 PM Durable POA
nbk2yj2 Offline
Platinum Poster
Paradise!
It is my understanding that a financial institution cannot reject a POA solely because it is not a durable POA. The reason being that pursuant to the October 1, 2011, the Florida POA statute looks to indicate a POA no longer needs to contain the “durable language provision” in the POA in order to be a valid POA.

Meaning that a POA without the durable language provision actually complies with the provisions of the statute and as long as that POA (1) is executed, witnessed and notarized properly; (2) sets forth specifically-described transactions that can be conducted at the FI; and (3) the FI has no knowledge of the incapacitation of the principal on the date of presentment of the POA.

I am inquiring because i am seeing rejection based solely on whether the POA is durable or not.

Return to Top
#2089016 - 07/20/16 06:53 PM Re: Durable POA nbk2yj2
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
There's an excellent pamphlet from the Florida Bar Association on POA's. One section talks about what a bank would do if it refuses to accept a POA. (Sorry, it's not paginated; you will have to find it.)

Whether a bank could refuse a POA simply because it was not "durable" would depend on the facts and circumstances. For example. if the principal was still capable of executing a POA that contained the durable language, refusal of the non durable document might be reasonable. However, if the principal no longer had legal capacity to execute a POA, then a refusal probably would be deemed unreasonable.

Return to Top