Thread Options
#2090193 - 07/27/16 06:01 PM Loan Originator Compensation - Overtime
Miss Comply Offline
Our loan originators are compensated hourly (at more than double the minimum wage) plus they make commission on all of the loans that are closed over an established threshold (i.e. $1M a month). The earned commission is then reduced by the amount they were paid for their regular and overtime wages in the month the commissions were earned. I was told that this was illegal to reduce the OT compensation based on a PNC wage lawsuit. I was able to find that in fact "PNC illegally deducted overtime compensation from subsequent commissions" but I still cannnot find guidance as to why this was illegal - it could just be the way PNC specifically had their agreements structured (which I am hoping for). Can anyone help point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much in advance!

Just as clarification by example:
Ms. Originator earned $4,000 in regular and overtime wages in July
Ms. Originator earned $10,000 in commissions in July (not paid until August)

In August $6,000 of commissions ($10,000 earned minus $4,000 wages) will be paid. What I was told (by an employee) is that we need to figure out how much of that $4,000 was in OT and not reduce the subsequent commission by that amount. This change could easily cost us $2,000/month - which will be really hard for the budget to absorb!! But I also want to make sure we're following the FLSA.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#2090218 - 07/27/16 06:30 PM Re: Loan Originator Compensation - Overtime Miss Comply
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Overtime pay and commissions are a complex issue. Commission are included in the calculation of the base rate of pay for overtime calculation and this may cost you a lot more than your projection of $2,000.

You probably need to get a skilled employment attorney involved. For more information, refer to this document:

https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/WH1262.pdf

Return to Top
#2090442 - 07/28/16 05:50 PM Re: Loan Originator Compensation - Overtime Miss Comply
Miss Comply Offline
You are right about that Randy! It's a nightmare to navigate! Thanks for sharing this resource!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry