Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2090338 - 07/28/16 01:34 PM MLA Oral Disclosures -- Read to all borrowers?
Karen B. Offline
100 Club
If the oral disclosures are given over the phone to a borrower covered under the MLA, and that borrower's spouse is also a borrower (and as a dependent is also covered by the MLA), does the phone then need to be handed over to the spouse so that the oral disclosures can be given to that person as well? Or do the oral disclosures only need to be given to one borrower in a phone situation?

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#2090361 - 07/28/16 02:35 PM Re: MLA Oral Disclosures -- Read to all borrowers? Karen B.
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I had not considered this. The law says the disclosures are made to a covered borrower, but it never says they must be made to only one if there is more than one covered borrower. The only conclusion I could see is that they be made to each.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#2090375 - 07/28/16 03:25 PM Re: MLA Oral Disclosures -- Read to all borrowers? Karen B.
Karen B. Offline
100 Club
Thank you, Andy. Our bankers are gonna love this!

Return to Top
#2090898 - 08/01/16 05:15 PM Re: MLA Oral Disclosures -- Read to all borrowers? Karen B.
Indy Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
Yes, the way the law reads it would be required to provide the oral disclosures - or a toll-free number to obtain the disclosures - to each covered borrower on the loan. If not all borrowers on the loan are "covered" borrowers, however, I suppose it would only need to be provided to the covered borrower.

Return to Top
#2091347 - 08/03/16 05:06 PM Re: MLA Oral Disclosures -- Read to all borrowers? Karen B.
BrendaW Offline
100 Club
BrendaW
Texas
I am confused as I see the toll-free number to be only for mail or internet transactions. If it is not a mail or internet situation, then it appears the phone number solution for oral disclosures is not applicable.

(b)(2) Oral disclosures. The creditor also shall provide the disclosures required by paragraphs (a)(1), (a)(3) and (a)(4) of this section orally before consummation. In mail and internet transactions, the creditor satisfies this requirement if it provides a toll-free telephone number on or with the written disclosures that consumers may use to obtain oral disclosures and the creditor provides oral disclosures when the covered borrower contacts the creditor for this purpose.

Return to Top
#2091365 - 08/03/16 05:40 PM Re: MLA Oral Disclosures -- Read to all borrowers? Karen B.
Minion Offline
Minion
Virginia
This is what I found it in the federal register on page 43610 and under section §232.6 -- Mandatory loan disclosures of the rule itself.

(2) Oral disclosures. (i) In general.
The creditor also shall orally provide the information required by paragraphs (a)(1) and (3) of this section.
(ii) Methods to provide oral disclosures. A creditor may satisfy the requirement in paragraph (d)(2)(i) of this section if the creditor provides—
(A) The information to the covered borrower in person; or
(B) A toll-free telephone number in order to deliver the oral disclosures to a covered borrower when the covered borrower contacts the creditor for this purpose.

This does not say anything about only for mail or internet transactions. So I am thinking it would work for all methods.

Return to Top
#2091439 - 08/03/16 07:56 PM Re: MLA Oral Disclosures -- Read to all borrowers? Minion
BrendaW Offline
100 Club
BrendaW
Texas
I see what I did.....I didn't scroll down on the BOL site to the "red" section which is the changes to the rule.....I now see what you are referring to.. it has been a long day already!

Return to Top
#2093306 - 08/15/16 07:19 PM Re: MLA Oral Disclosures -- Read to all borrowers? Karen B.
Tarhe Offline
Diamond Poster
California
Just to confirm, if the co-applicant on a covered loan is NOT a covered borrower him/herself, then the oral disclosures do not need to be read to that person? No harm in doing so, I suppose? (For example, they are sitting together right in front of you.) But we wouldn't need to make a special call to the non-covered co-applicant to read the disclosures, right?

Return to Top
#2093330 - 08/15/16 07:54 PM Re: MLA Oral Disclosures -- Read to all borrowers? Karen B.
Carter'sMom Offline
Along the same lines - we are considering putting the required disclosure on our IVR 800 line for bank information. I don't see any guidance on how high up in the menu the oral disclosure would have to be. Thoughts?

Return to Top
#2093340 - 08/15/16 08:26 PM Re: MLA Oral Disclosures -- Read to all borrowers? Karen B.
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
Tarhe- I believe that is correct, I don't see anything that suggests otherwise.

Carter'sMom - The MLA statement is only one piece of the puzzle. Don't forget you'll need to also be able to give the payments schedule orally as well. There is no guidance on where it would need to be in the menu, but I would suggest within the top 5 or so. You don't want examiners to think you are hiding it by burying it so far in the menu that no one will wait to get to it. We have our normal 1-800 with a dedicated extension that will read the MLA statement and then direct them to press 1 to reach someone to finish the disclosures by giving the payment schedule for that particular loan.

Return to Top
#2093414 - 08/16/16 02:12 PM Re: MLA Oral Disclosures -- Read to all borrowers? Karen B.
Tracey, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Gorham, ME
Tarhe- do you mean the co-applicant is not a dependent of the service member at the time of the loan?

Return to Top
#2093471 - 08/16/16 03:56 PM Re: MLA Oral Disclosures -- Read to all borrowers? Karen B.
Tarhe Offline
Diamond Poster
California
Yes - the co-applicant is not a servicemember or covered dependent.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z