Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2091988 - 08/05/16 07:10 PM Elevation Certificate
mdog76 Offline
Platinum Poster
I'm being told that some insurance agencies are requiring an Elevation Certificate before even providing a quote on flood insurance. Has anyone else ran into this issue?

Return to Top
Flood Compliance
#2091993 - 08/05/16 07:24 PM Re: Elevation Certificate mdog76
Lilly2pet Offline
100 Club
Land of Pine Trees and Lobster...
This has become more commonplace in our area since the passage of Biggert-Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act and the Homeowners Flood Insurance Affordability Act.

Return to Top
#2092002 - 08/05/16 07:43 PM Re: Elevation Certificate mdog76
mdog76 Offline
Platinum Poster
So some agencies are making the customer pay for a survey/elevation certificate before they will even quote insurance.....I can "understand" why but making the customer pay for a survey doesn't seem right.

Return to Top
#2092008 - 08/05/16 07:55 PM Re: Elevation Certificate mdog76
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
What does an elevation certificate have with getting a quote? The insurance agent should be quoting them a provisionally rated insurance policy if they don't yet have an elevation certificate:

Provisional rating is available to enable the placement of coverage prior to receipt of the Elevation Certificate (EC). It is expected that an EC will be secured and full-risk rating completed within 60 days of the policy effective date. Failure to obtain the EC could result in reduced coverage limits at the time of a loss. A sample rate questionnaire and a sample notice to the policyholders informing them of their obligations under a provisionally rated policy are included in this section.

Provisional rates may be used in writing new business flood policies. All provisionally rated policies are subject to the effective date rules.

Basically, it comes down to customers having idiots as insurance agents that have never even cracked the NFIP manual open.

Return to Top
#2092025 - 08/05/16 08:39 PM Re: Elevation Certificate rlcarey
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
Originally Posted By rlcarey

Basically, it comes down to customers having idiots as insurance agents that have never even cracked the NFIP manual open.

This applies to about 99% of insurance agents I have dealt with...

Return to Top