Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2092961 - 08/12/16 04:02 PM Do you use cash tickets for cash exchanges?
Amandak Offline
Wisconsin
Is there a rule or regulation that states the cash tickets should be used for cash exchanges? If so, what is the benefit and how do you monitor it?

Return to Top
Audit
#2093081 - 08/12/16 08:57 PM Re: Do you use cash tickets for cash exchanges? Amandak
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
There is not a rule or a regulation. For me the purpose of cash tickets is to track how cash is processed through the bank. In your example above, if teller A sells teller B cash there should be some method for identifying this transaction (i.e., the use of cash tickets). If you do not use cash tickets and a teller drawer is out of balance at the end of the day, where do you start looking for the outage?

Return to Top
#2093087 - 08/12/16 09:52 PM Re: Do you use cash tickets for cash exchanges? Amandak
Amandak Offline
Wisconsin
I should clarify this would be exchanging cash for coins for business customers. We use in and out tickets when exchanging from one teller drawer to another.

Return to Top
#2093092 - 08/12/16 10:37 PM Re: Do you use cash tickets for cash exchanges? Amandak
Tabbetha, CRCM Offline
Biloxi, Mississippi
Our procedure is any cash passing thru our tellers is processed using a cash in or out ticket. We do not allow exchange of cash or coin without a paper trail. We also track change orders via a query built to monitor that particular tran type within our teller system.

Return to Top
#2093131 - 08/14/16 06:45 PM Re: Do you use cash tickets for cash exchanges? Amandak
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Originally Posted By Amandak
I should clarify this would be exchanging cash for coins for business customers. We use in and out tickets when exchanging from one teller drawer to another.

If you don't document this exchange in some manner, how do you get the exchange into your currency aggregation for CTR reporting?

Return to Top
#2093161 - 08/15/16 01:12 PM Re: Do you use cash tickets for cash exchanges? Amandak
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
We use cash tickets for exchanges.

Return to Top
#2093203 - 08/15/16 03:22 PM Re: Do you use cash tickets for cash exchanges? rlcarey
Amandak Offline
Wisconsin

If you don't document this exchange in some manner, how do you get the exchange into your currency aggregation for CTR reporting? [/quote]

This is where my question is arising from. I am for using tickets but am getting pushback from operations and am looking for something in writing to back up my reasoning.

Return to Top
#2093221 - 08/15/16 03:45 PM Re: Do you use cash tickets for cash exchanges? Amandak
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
I don't think you are going to find your support in one place, it is going to range from internal controls to BSA and potentially everything in between. When I replied I was just thinking of the internal control side not the regulatory impact that Randy brought up.

Return to Top
#2093223 - 08/15/16 03:49 PM Re: Do you use cash tickets for cash exchanges? Amandak
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
"...Somewhere in Middle Americ...
There are lots of controls in place for which there is no written rule....they are put in place in an attempt to minimize risks that we have considered. As was said above, how can you see the money moving throughout your bank if there are no tickets documenting it?

If you are auditing, document the lack of control and make the recommendation. Explain the risks of not using tickets so that your audit committee understands whether or not they are comfortable with accepting the risk.

Return to Top
#2093224 - 08/15/16 03:53 PM Re: Do you use cash tickets for cash exchanges? Amandak
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
As Cornfed said make sure the Audit Committee is aware and properly documented in the minutes.

Return to Top
#2093373 - 08/16/16 01:36 AM Re: Do you use cash tickets for cash exchanges? Amandak
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Some systems produce electronic journals, and electronic tickets can be created. I've been on several audits where rules were circumvented, and the tellers could not balance back to previous days work. In one case, the teller was aware, and some cash (and the teller) disappeared.

Return to Top
#2093416 - 08/16/16 02:19 PM Re: Do you use cash tickets for cash exchanges? Amandak
Susielou Offline
Gold Star
Midwest
We use a "change order" on the teller system. It requires that the cash is documented in and out. Then tickets are made and run through proof. This is just another piece of the puzzle for cash reporting. If you can use technology to collect the information, it is much easier on your BSA Officer and the auditors like it.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z