Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2071351 - 03/29/16 03:39 PM Re: Maine Skittles
DD Regs Offline
Power Poster
DD Regs
Somewhere in the middle
Will have to listen to that tonight Norm. Didn't know Texas had its own "country" music.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2071370 - 03/29/16 04:41 PM Re: Maine Skittles
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Oh yeah! It's a thing. laugh

CRCM

Return to Top
#2071374 - 03/29/16 05:00 PM Re: Maine Skittles
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
And some of it is great! We call it Red Dirt music around here.

Return to Top
#2071787 - 03/31/16 01:51 PM Re: Maine Skittles
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
A number of years ago....well, actually...."back in the day".....when I was much younger, we camped in Acadia National Park....awesome! We ate lobster on a wharf at Bar Harbor ("Ba Haba"). While you're in Maine, check out Baxter State Park (inland). It should be a National Park, it is so beautiful and pristine. When we camped there, running generators on motor homes was prohibited and there were no trash receptacles. Bring it in, pack it out......a common sense idea that is foreign to the majority of people these days. The trailhead to Mt. Katahdin is there. Go ahead....try a climb. It is the highest mountain in Maine (about 5,200 feet in elevation) and is the northern most point of the Appalachian Trail. We did not make it to the top because there was a 60 mile an hour wind blowing that day. The park is a gem!

Return to Top
#2071792 - 03/31/16 02:12 PM Re: Maine Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Talked about trying to make the climb since we have climbed Springer Mountain (the southern most point of the AT); however with my RA my husband doesn't think I could do it - and he's probably right.

Return to Top
#2071810 - 03/31/16 02:56 PM Re: Maine Skittles
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Quote:
Talked about trying to make the climb since we have climbed Springer Mountain (the southern most point of the AT); however with my RA my husband doesn't think I could do it - and he's probably right.

Go ahead an hike part of the way. If I recall, the views are spectacular.

Return to Top
#2089694 - 07/25/16 04:30 PM Re: Maine Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I'm getting very excited now. Our trip is only a month out. Kind of bad since I'm such a planner and made these reservations in January and February. Seems like forever.

Return to Top
#2089724 - 07/25/16 05:32 PM Re: Maine Skittles
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Maine is a beautiful state! We didn't get to Bar Harbor on our trip earlier this month - ran out of time. We drove up the middle of the state thru Bangor and up and thru New Brunswick Canada and didn't see 1 moose - none! we were rather disappointed with that. Beautiful, beautiful country up there...

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2089731 - 07/25/16 05:38 PM Re: Maine Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that our 4 hour moose tour (starting at 6:00 a.m. at Moosehead Lake) gives us the opportunity to see a moose - and other wildlife.

Return to Top
#2089766 - 07/25/16 06:49 PM Re: Maine Skittles
dottiec Offline
Gold Star
Watch the side of the interstate for moose roadkill. Usually next to a very crushed semi. If you thought a white tailed deer could damage a car, you should see what a moose does to a tractor trailer.

My friends have a house in Maine. We never see moose where you would expect them, but yet one will come walking up the drive way in the morning and just stand there waiting for it's photo shoot!

Enjoy your time in Maine, it's a beautiful state.

Return to Top
#2092124 - 08/08/16 02:53 PM Re: Maine Skittles
Lilly2pet Offline
100 Club
Land of Pine Trees and Lobster...
Maine is a beautiful State and you have select two very different parts of the state to visit. Bar Harbor will be very busy and crowded with lots of shopping and restaurants from which to choose. Absolutely spend time in Acadia, you also might want to take a carriage ride in the park; great way to see the park (reservations online). While on MDI (Mount Desert Island where Bar Harbor is located); take a ride to the "quite side" of the island, beautiful scenery and lots less traffic.
Greenville is less busy and caters more towards the outdoors sports, hunting and fishing- much more laid back rugged area. Another difference between the two locations-black flies. Much more prevalent in Greenville than BH. If you have time, get a map (or GPS) and head towards Oquossoc, Maine (maybe 20 minutes outside of Greenville) and drive to "Height of Land"-beautiful incredible views of Moosehead Lake. It is tradition to stop at Indian Hill (combined grocery/clothing/liquor store/gift shop/gas station/everything else you could possibly need while in that part of the state) while in Greenville. If you can't find it there-you don't need it.
Tired of seafood? Head a few minutes south of Greenville to Monson,ME- SpringCreek BBQ-best in the state.
Listen to suggestions about dressing for cool weather on the water-whether on the Atlantic Ocean or on Moosehead Lake-you will not regret packing a sweatshirt. Enjoy your vacation.

Return to Top
#2092127 - 08/08/16 03:14 PM Re: Maine Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Thank you for the information - and advice. Hopefully we'll be after black fly season (according to the Internet we should miss that by a month or two). Looking forward to both areas.

Return to Top
#2093319 - 08/15/16 07:35 PM Re: Maine Skittles
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
Skittles, Blackfly season is never over in the deep woods--and neither is mosquito season. Make sure you put on repellant with DEET before going into the woods. It also works for the deer ticks...they are everywhere this time of year. I'm just back from my Maine vacation and did not get bitten by anything because I used the DEET. Usually, everything bites me!

Return to Top
#2093321 - 08/15/16 07:39 PM Re: Maine Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Thank you for the tip, renniks. Guess I'd better get out and buy some Deet. What part of Maine did you visit?

Return to Top
#2093326 - 08/15/16 07:51 PM Re: Maine Skittles
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Skittles, my brother lives near Bar Harbor, and it is beautiful. All that was said about Acadia is an understatement. There were 2 busloads from Japan visiting the park when I was there.

It does get cool. In the next 10 days, the high will break 80 only 2x and the lows will be in the 50's. So serene.

Return to Top
#2093327 - 08/15/16 07:52 PM Re: Maine Skittles
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
We were about 2 1/2 hours northeast of Bar Harbor in the Lubec, Maine area. Lubec is the most eastern town in the US and has some of the most beautiful scenery that you could ever hope to see. It is not touristy at all. From Lubec you can cross over a bridge to Campobello Island, New Brunswick. Half of the island is an international park and the former summer home of Franklin Roosevelt.

Enjoy your trip! When you are driving on the Maine Turnpike you will see lots of signs warning of Moose Crossing. They tend to come out of the woods this time of year because they don't like mosquitos any better than humans do!

Return to Top
#2093328 - 08/15/16 07:53 PM Re: Maine Skittles
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
100% deet can go on clothing if you wish. I would not put it on toddlers as you do not wish them to grow an additional arm or leg, turn green, and get fangs.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2093352 - 08/15/16 08:52 PM Re: Maine Skittles
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
My son and I are in the woods a lot and we use insect spray containing permethrin on our clothes (especially our pants and boots) to repel and kill ticks. It also kills mosquitoes and other nasty bugs but you can not apply it directly to your skin. It has been really effective. I would probably recommend this for clothing and some repellent containing deet for exposed skin.

Return to Top
#2096958 - 09/06/16 01:34 PM Re: Maine Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Just got back to work today. Had a fantastic trip - probably our best ever. Got to see whales in Bar Harbor (or actually about 15 miles out in the Atlantic) and moose in Greenville. Bar Harbor was stunningly beautiful and our B&B was situated where we could walk anywhere in town. Hiked in Acadia, went to a local winery, ate a lot of food, etc. Of course I had to try a lobster roll and it was delish.

Return to Top
#2096965 - 09/06/16 01:58 PM Re: Maine Skittles
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Sounds like a great time Skittles! The weather was great last week.

Return to Top
#2096966 - 09/06/16 02:12 PM Re: Maine Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
The weather was perfect - although it did get into the low 80's two days while we were there. Luckily I did pack a couple of pairs of shorts.

Return to Top
#2096985 - 09/06/16 03:40 PM Re: Maine Skittles
Tracey, CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
Gorham, ME
So glad you enjoyed my beautiful state Skittles!

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2