Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#2093236 - 08/15/16 04:31 PM HMDA
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry I have researched this issue to no avail and also sent an email to HMDA help to no help.
I have a consumer loan (HELOC that was paid off (mortgage satisfied) and has been rewritten into a commercial loan to purchase commercial inventory secured by his personal residence. The over the road truck driver is using the proceeds to purchase tires for his semi. This loan is on the LAR. The officer states this is a cash out refinance. I agree that he took the cash out of his equity in his home for a business purpose but it is not a HMDA reportable loan. Can any one answer whether this loan should be on the LAR?

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#2093238 - 08/15/16 04:37 PM Re: HMDA Anonymous
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
If you paid off (and closed) the HELOC with proceeds of this loan secured by the property in question then you have a HMDA reportable refinance.

#2093286 - 08/15/16 06:35 PM Re: HMDA Anonymous
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
Not that Skittles needs my agreement, but i agree.

#2093292 - 08/15/16 06:43 PM Re: HMDA Anonymous
TMatt87 Online
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
I agree, assuming the borrowers are the same. Here's the definition of refinancing from the GIR manual:

Refinancing.
A refinancing is any dwelling-secured loan that replaces and satisfies another dwelling-secured loan to the same borrower. The purpose of the loan being refinanced is not relevant to determining whether the new loan is a refinancing for HMDA purposes. Nor is the borrower’s intended use of any additional cash borrowed relevant to determining whether the loan is a refinancing, though the borrower’s intended use of the funds could make the transaction a home improvement loan or a home purchase loan.

#2093418 - 08/16/16 02:23 PM Re: HMDA Anonymous
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
One caveat, make sure the HELOC was closed, not just paid to $0. If the customer can draw on the HELOC again, then it does not meet the condition of "satisfied and replaced" and therefore not a refi for HMDA.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale