Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2094512 - 08/22/16 04:14 PM FBE customer - business docs in foreign language
Madawaska Offline
100 Club
VA
So we are in the process of opening a relationship for a foreign business entity that was formed outside the U.S. We asked to receive their business formation documents for CIP purposes, but they were received in the foreign language. The new customer states it would be too costly to have them translated into English. They want to provide us a letter from their attorney on the validity of the documents.

What is the common practice for this situation?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2094513 - 08/22/16 04:17 PM Re: FBE customer - business docs in foreign language Madawaska
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
You'll get different answers based on each Bank's CIP. One bank I was at that focused on FBE's was willing to accept foriegn business documents with an attorney opinion letter. Other bank's I've been at would only accept notarized translations. Depending on the profitbaility of the customer, either the Bank or client would pay for it.

IMHO - I don't get how you can possibly rely on an attorney opinion letter as verifying the identity of a FBE.

Return to Top
#2094516 - 08/22/16 04:22 PM Re: FBE customer - business docs in foreign language Madawaska
Madawaska Offline
100 Club
VA
Thank you for the quick response. I had the same thought about accepting the attorney opinion letter.

Return to Top
#2094521 - 08/22/16 04:33 PM Re: FBE customer - business docs in foreign language Madawaska
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Words of advice "never trust the other sides attorney"

CAMS

Return to Top
#2094550 - 08/22/16 05:55 PM Re: FBE customer - business docs in foreign language Madawaska
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I would not open an account for one unless it was the first day of a campaign to open accounts for several and I had access to people with some real expertise so I could set things up correctly.

Return to Top
#2094649 - 08/23/16 01:40 AM Re: FBE customer - business docs in foreign language Madawaska
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If you don't have an international department that normally handles this type of transaction - run as fast as you can.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z