CAMS

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2080783 - 05/27/16 12:46 AM Re: ACAMS Sold edAudit
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Press release on ACAMS web site issued one day earlier.

Intriguing. I had always thought of them in the same "non profit" category as a state bankers association, but did feel that some of their decisions e.g. requiring certified individuals to use their training (at least in part) and the pricing of their conferences, belied a profit motive.

Return to Top
#2080874 - 05/27/16 03:36 PM Re: ACAMS Sold Elwood P. Dowd
Pat Patriot Act Offline
Gold Star
Pat Patriot Act
Originally Posted By Ken_Pegasus
Press release on ACAMS web site issued one day earlier.

Intriguing. I had always thought of them in the same "non profit" category as a state bankers association, but did feel that some of their decisions e.g. requiring certified individuals to use their training (at least in part) and the pricing of their conferences, belied a profit motive.

It's gotten worse over the past few years, in my opinion. IIRC, memberships used to be cheaper and provided more value (e.g. ACAMS Today included).

They also used to be at every ABA/ABA Conference, but didn't have a booth at the 2015 one.

They've got a monopoly on recognized training for AML, despite other sources providing much more valuable information regarding operational BSA/AML.

Return to Top
#2081046 - 05/28/16 11:51 PM Re: ACAMS Sold edAudit
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
I think I told Ken the story about how I was contacted several years ago about an AML/BSA Compliance Officer position at a bank that was under regulatory order to shape up its AML/BSA compliance. I was convinced I was going to receive a formal offer until the recruiter asked if I was ACAMS certified. She said the OCC made that a requirement for the position. When I told her no, she said thanks for the interview, but I was not qualified for the position. I think ACAMS is probably a great organization, but somehow I did not think an ACAMS certification would make me better qualified than my 30+ years of experience in AML/BSA. I also wondered how OCC could require someone to get a certification from a particular organization when there are other organizations that offer excellent training in AML and BSA. Any comments?

Return to Top
#2081049 - 05/30/16 11:49 AM Re: ACAMS Sold Retread
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Retread: Grasshopper?
Ken: Yes, Master Po?

Thank you for 25 years of tutelage. Sorry you don't have an acronym. wink

Return to Top
#2081073 - 05/31/16 01:53 PM Re: ACAMS Sold edAudit
ACBbank Offline
Power Poster
ACBbank
New York City
I wonder the same thing about the regulators view of the ACAMS certification myself Retread. CAMS itself actually does try to provide good service and they try to work with you to the extent possible, but I've never really known regulators to take a hard stance on a service provider in the fashion they have with ACAMS.

Return to Top
#2081100 - 05/31/16 03:52 PM Re: ACAMS Sold Retread
Pat Patriot Act Offline
Gold Star
Pat Patriot Act
Originally Posted By Retread
I think I told Ken the story about how I was contacted several years ago about an AML/BSA Compliance Officer position at a bank that was under regulatory order to shape up its AML/BSA compliance. I was convinced I was going to receive a formal offer until the recruiter asked if I was ACAMS certified. She said the OCC made that a requirement for the position. When I told her no, she said thanks for the interview, but I was not qualified for the position. I think ACAMS is probably a great organization, but somehow I did not think an ACAMS certification would make me better qualified than my 30+ years of experience in AML/BSA. I also wondered how OCC could require someone to get a certification from a particular organization when there are other organizations that offer excellent training in AML and BSA. Any comments?

That is absolutely ridiculous.

Meanwhile, I've been consulting at a bank that has been in some hot water, and to demonstrate they have qualified candidates they have been requiring all of their new hires (mostly recent college graduates) to get CAMS certified. Don't get me wrong. It was my idea for them to do that so they could appease the regulators, but it has little to no meaning relative to actual skill.

Some of the same recent certificate recipients also ask me basic BSA questions related to CTRs, MILs, the travel rule, etc.

Return to Top
#2081225 - 06/01/16 01:09 PM Re: ACAMS Sold edAudit
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Retread - Maybe us non-CAMS people should start a new certification program??? Ken - what do you say?? You could sponsor it smile

Return to Top
#2081240 - 06/01/16 01:30 PM Re: ACAMS Sold edAudit
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
after 30+ years in the industry without CAMS the examiners have looked at me as if I had 25 heads while pointing out when they were incorrect on several items with qualifying documentation directly from the exam guide and or other government documentation that clearly lists exemptions cited by staff. Now with the CAMS on the business card they only look at me as if I have 10 heads. Way better. crazy

CAMS

Return to Top
#2081266 - 06/01/16 02:21 PM Re: ACAMS Sold rlcarey
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Randy, Thanks for the vote of confidence, but I've let 2 certifications expire because I ultimately decided they were more about the sponsor's revenue stream than they were about my knowledge level. Of course, we all know that I'm not as smart as the OCC...as demonstrated above, nobody is. grin

Ed, in your shoes, I would do it too.

Return to Top
#2081312 - 06/01/16 04:36 PM Re: ACAMS Sold edAudit
banker1976 Offline
Gold Star
Mid-Atlantic
I too, similarly to Retread's story, was contacted (2 years ago, 2014) from a third party banking recruiting agency for a bank that's about an hour-ish from where I'm at who had recently finished an exam and where they were "recommended" to find someone with CAMS certification to take the place of the outgoing BSA Officer (who was retiring).

Return to Top
#2081335 - 06/01/16 06:18 PM Re: ACAMS Sold edAudit
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
I've let 2 certifications expire because I ultimately decided they were more about the sponsor's revenue stream than they were about my knowledge level

you make an excellent point, one I have also thought relates to many banking certifications (I maintain one solely to appease examiners as well, but have let a second expire)

Return to Top
#2081366 - 06/01/16 07:34 PM Re: ACAMS Sold edAudit
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
I'm keeping one of mine "just in case." I can't bear the thought of having to take the test again, even though I might not ever need that certification again.

Return to Top
#2087196 - 07/08/16 04:22 PM Re: ACAMS Sold edAudit
CaptainEO Offline
New Poster
Pennsylvania
Has anyone heard that ACAMS is changing the exam to include additional material?

If so, does anyone know the date this "new" exam would start being distributed?

Return to Top
#2087718 - 07/13/16 04:21 PM Re: ACAMS Sold CaptainEO
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Call them and ask.

Return to Top
#2087719 - 07/13/16 04:23 PM Re: ACAMS Sold edAudit
Daisy Doodle Offline
Diamond Poster
Southern U.S.
I just got a call from them asking if I planned to renew my membership (they wanted $$$). They said 'ACAMS' on the phone.

Return to Top
#2088533 - 07/18/16 03:27 PM Re: ACAMS Sold edAudit
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
The exam is in the process of being updated. Not sure when the roll-out will be, but I know the study guide update is still in process, so I don't think it will be in the next 2 months.

Return to Top
#2088734 - 07/19/16 02:42 PM Re: ACAMS Sold edAudit
CaptainEO Offline
New Poster
Pennsylvania
great, that makes plenty sense.. thank you, really appreciate the responses!

Return to Top
#2097198 - 09/07/16 03:22 PM Re: ACAMS Sold edAudit
thisisme08 Offline
So....did they fire everyone after the acquisition was complete? I literally want to give them my $$ (so I can make more $$) and I can't even get a call or email reply back.

Any current members know anything more?

Return to Top
#2097204 - 09/07/16 03:33 PM Re: ACAMS Sold edAudit
Daisy Doodle Offline
Diamond Poster
Southern U.S.
"I just received the below email, inviting me to obtain an advanced certification."

ADVERTISERS NEED TO PAY TO PLAY and that includes bankers reposting advertisements.

We appreciate your cooperation.

Last edited by Andy Z; 09/07/16 03:50 PM.
Return to Top
#2097209 - 09/07/16 03:40 PM Re: ACAMS Sold edAudit
thisisme08 Offline
Hmm... confused

Thank you for a contact though. I'm going to email this guy directly and see what happens from there.

Return to Top
#2100100 - 09/23/16 02:40 PM Re: ACAMS Sold thisisme08
Lisa Offline
New Poster
Just wondering if anyone has attained their BSA/AML Officer Certification? The one my girl is looking into is a program consisting of seven sessions over four days. You are then required to pass a final test within six months of completing the course requirements. A minimum of six hours of continuing education beginning in the second year is required in order to maintain certification.

Thanks, Lisa

Return to Top
#2106228 - 11/07/16 06:16 PM Re: ACAMS Sold edAudit
happyauditor Offline
Platinum Poster
happyauditor
NY
It has just come to my attention that the CAMS recertification requirements includes needing 12 credits from attending ACAMS training events. I received my CAMS in 2005. I do not recall this being a requirement at all, nor being notified of a change. Am I crazy, were we notified? The last time I had to recertify was 2014. Thankfully I do not have to recertify until 12/31/2017 so I have ample time to make sure 12 of my credits are from ACAMS.

From the CAMS Recertification Handbook and Application (downloaded from ACAMS website today, has a copyright of 2015):

"A total of sixty (60) Continuing Education Credits must be earned within a three-year cycle from the year of certification. Certificants are required to earn twelve (12) of the total credits from attending ACAMS training events. Additionally, two (2) credits may be earned on the topic of ethics. "

Return to Top
#2106294 - 11/08/16 02:55 AM Re: ACAMS Sold edAudit
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I ran into the same thing. Luckily it was right after I attended ACAMS in Florida so I was OK.

Return to Top
#2106303 - 11/08/16 01:34 PM Re: ACAMS Sold edAudit
Big Dog Offline
Power Poster
Big Dog
Kennel
You can get the necessary ACAMS credits by attending the local chapter events (if you are close to one ie NY, No. NJ, Philly) or free webinars that are available from ACAMS.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z