Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#209701 - 07/12/04 04:07 PM HMDA Temporary Financing
Anonymous
Unregistered

We are making a loan to purchase a home that will be used as investment property. The loan will mature in 8 months from origination date. Am I correct in thinking this is temporary financing and not HMDA reportable?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#209702 - 07/12/04 04:59 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
The 8 months does not make it temporary, just short term.

What is the source of repayment?

Return to Top
#209703 - 07/12/04 05:16 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
Anonymous
Unregistered

The borrower bought the property to fix up and put back on the market. He is a realator and buys homes to fix up and sell.

Return to Top
#209704 - 07/12/04 05:56 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

The borrower bought the property to fix up and put back on the market. He is a realator and buys homes to fix up and sell.

Then I am assuming the loan will be paid from the sell of the home and there is no scheduled principal payments. If correct, this would be temp financing and not reportable.

Return to Top
#209705 - 07/12/04 06:59 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes. The loan is interest payments only with the principal due at maturity. The borrower intends to pay the loan off with the proceeds from the sale of the home. Boy this "temporary" financing versus "short term" financing is confusing!

Return to Top
#209706 - 07/12/04 07:06 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another question. I assume that if the borrower had regular scheduled principal payments, this be considered "short term", and make it HMDA reportable.

Where do you catch those big fish?

Return to Top
#209707 - 07/12/04 07:37 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

Another question. I assume that if the borrower had regular scheduled principal payments, this be considered "short term", and make it HMDA reportable.

Yes. If you have set up an "amortization schedule", you no longer have temporary financing.

Quote:

Where do you catch those big fish?

Out of the lake. (sorry, couldn't resist)

I'm fortunate to have 4 lakes within about a 20 minute drive and about 5 or 6 lakes within a 2 hour drive. Plus I have a friend that has an 8 acre private lake and there are also a couple of rivers close by. This fish was caught out of the private lake.

Return to Top
#209708 - 07/12/04 07:51 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for your help! You've cleared up any misunderstanding that I had on temporary vs short term financing.

Yep, I did post a silly question! Like where else can you catch fish other than in water!

Return to Top
#209709 - 08/17/04 02:08 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
Susan Rae Offline
Susan Rae
Minnesota
If the borrower is in the business of buying, fixing up and selling homes for profit, this is his regular/ordinary income. Would the loan then be HMDA reportable?

Return to Top
#209710 - 08/17/04 02:44 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
No. The repayment will be from the sale of the home. It is temporary financing.

Return to Top
#209711 - 09/23/04 03:28 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
Quote:

Yes. The loan is interest payments only with the principal due at maturity. The borrower intends to pay the loan off with the proceeds from the sale of the home. Boy this "temporary" financing versus "short term" financing is confusing!

I am trying to get my arms around this too. I have a loan for the building of a residential house, by a corporation, that is interest only for nine months with a final balloon payment due at maturity. Am I understanding that this will not be considered a reportable transaction?

Return to Top
#209712 - 09/23/04 03:40 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
MacKenzie...what is the source of repayment?

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#209713 - 09/23/04 04:05 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
Proceeds will come from a mortgage co.

Return to Top
#209714 - 09/23/04 04:07 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Then it would be a temporary loan, as the source of repayment is from other than oridinary income.

Return to Top
#209715 - 09/23/04 05:39 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
Thanks, this is what I thought after reading some prior posts.

Let me ask this though...I am considering sending around a memo to our lenders to help them understand when a loan is going to be considered "temporary financing" based on what I have found in these threads (thanks also to Dan!). Anyway, has anyone found a tool to use or has anyone created a worksheet with some common examples that I could use?

Return to Top
#209716 - 09/23/04 06:00 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
2004 HMDA Worksheet

See if is this is along the line of what you are looking for. I got this from the HMDA Heaven page via courtesy of MagicBanker.

Return to Top
#209717 - 09/23/04 06:36 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
Once again...thank you Dan! May the fishing Gods be with you on your next outing!

And by the way, why isn't your name in green? I thought you were crowned a guru a while back....what gives?

Return to Top
#209718 - 09/23/04 06:40 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
You're welcome and thank you for the fishing Gods wish. I'm going to actually be fishing in my first "sanctioned" tournament on 10/2 and 10/3.

Green is for the moderators.

Return to Top
#209719 - 09/23/04 06:54 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
MackenzieS Offline
Diamond Poster
MackenzieS
Oklahoma
Quote:

You're welcome and thank you for the fishing Gods wish. I'm going to actually be fishing in my first "sanctioned" tournament on 10/2 and 10/3.

Green is for the moderators.

I'm assuming that "sanctioned" means a competition for bragging rights? Do they allow beer in a "sanctioned" tourney? I'd have to opt out if they say no!

Ummm...okay, what is the difference between a guru and a moderator? I think they should give you your own color then! Maybe I should take this up with MaryBeth or those rowdy folks in the Watercooler.

Return to Top
#209720 - 09/23/04 07:08 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

I'd have to opt out if they say no!

So would I.

This will be the first fishing tournament I've fished in where you fish against actual competition, not just your buddies or some lodge function, for cash and other prizes. I'm fishing a lake I haven't fished before so I don't expect to finish in the money, but I do expect to have a good time and get some tournament experience.

Return to Top
#209721 - 09/23/04 08:20 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Sounds like a world of fun, Dan! Best of luck for sure.

Return to Top
#209722 - 09/24/04 02:53 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
May your depth finder point true,
thru the sea of blue!

Have fun and catch lots a big ones!
Post a picture if you get a chance.

Return to Top
#209723 - 09/27/04 06:18 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

No. The repayment will be from the sale of the home. It is temporary financing.

With all due respect, our bank looks at temporary financing differently.
If the loan is to be paid off by financing at our bank or another finanical institution then we consider it temp. financing.
If the loan is to be paid off by other proceeds (i.e. sale of home), then we consider it short term and report these loans on our HMDA LAR.

Of course, there isn't anything that makes this a clear cut decision. I would presume as long as your FI is consistant with their definition of temp financing and short term, you will be ok.

Return to Top
#209724 - 09/27/04 06:27 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
TomS Offline
Gold Star
USA
With all due respect, if I were still an examiner I would cite you for a HMDA violation, because you are reporting loans that you shouldn't be reporting. A short term loan that will be paid off upon the sale of a home is clearly temporary financing IMO and not subject to HMDA reporting.

Return to Top
#209725 - 09/27/04 06:37 PM Re: HMDA Temporary Financing
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
May 29, 2002

Bulletin Number: CHIRO-07-2002

HMDA and ‘Temporary Financing’

One area of the Home Mortgage Disclosure Act (HMDA) and Regulation C that continues to confuse reporters is the exclusion for ‘temporary financing’. In this message, we will try to clarify the term ‘temporary financing’ and discuss how many banks are incorrectly applying this exclusion.

Regulation C and the HMDA: Getting It Right guide (HMDA Guide) do not define ‘temporary financing’. However, Regulation C and the HMDA Guide do provide a good foundation for understanding what ‘temporary financing’ means. Section 203.4(d)(3) of Regulation C provides some insight by stating “Temporary financing (such as bridge or construction loans).” The HMDA Guide uses similar phrases in several parts. On page 10 under “What Types of Transactions Are Excluded?” it states “Construction loans and other temporary financing (but construction-permanent loans must be reported).” On page 7 of Appendix A under “Data to be excluded”, it states “Construction or bridge loans and other temporary financing.”

Temporary is defined in the dictionary as “lasting for a limited time”. Based upon the dictionary definition and the clues in Regulation C and the HMDA Guide, ‘temporary financing’ is short term financing that is only used until other financial arrangements to pay can be made. Accordingly, looking at the nature of the credit and how it is to be repaid is the only way to determine if it meets the ‘temporary financing’ exclusion.

If we look at a construction or a bridge loan (specifically defined in HMDA as temporary), we see that the payment of the construction or bridge loan is usually from another loan (a mortgage with some scheduled duration to pay for the home) or sale of an existing home . At the time the construction or bridge loan is extended the bank knows that it will be paid from another loan or an asset sale . Therefore, the construction or bridge loan was only made until other financial arrangements to pay could be arranged and is temporary financing . Similarly, construction-permanent loans must be reported because they include an arrangement to pay.

Examiners have reported various incorrect methods used by banks to define ‘temporary financing’. Most of these methods are based on the establishment of an arbitrary loan length. For example, some banks are establishing a policy that any loan with a maturity of less than one year is a ‘temporary financing’. This type of an approach will almost always lead to disclosure errors. Banks must look at each loan to make a proper determination.

If you have any questions concerning this information, please contact us by e-mail at SCANS@FDIC.gov or call us at the Banker compliance Hotline 312-382-6926.

Bold emphasis added by me.

I would think these type loans would be looked at as bridge loans - they are temporary loans until either the home can be sold or other financing arrangements made.

As you said, as long as you are consistent and your regulator agrees you're probably OK, but if you're FDIC, you may want to rethink your procedures or talk with your regional examiner.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z