Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2098218 - 09/13/16 03:43 PM lan loans
INOH Offline
Gold Star
Northeast
Land loans are considered investment loans at the bank so they are classified as commercial loans. Sometimes the land is used for agricultural purposes, or just as investments, sometimes to build in the future.

So, if the bank classifies these loans as commercial loans... but the MLA considers them as covered loans, do we have to change the classification of these loans?

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#2098220 - 09/13/16 03:47 PM Re: lan loans INOH
Here4Life Offline
100 Club
Commercial & Agriculture loans are exempt from Reg Z, so therefore MLA would not apply.

If the land loan is a Consumer purpose, Reg Z applies & so does MLA.

Return to Top
#2098225 - 09/13/16 03:55 PM Re: lan loans INOH
INOH Offline
Gold Star
Northeast
Yeah, that's what I understand... I read the following on an article:

The final rule preserves exemptions for residential mortgages and vehicle-secured purchase loans. Note, a lot loan or loan for vacant land not secured by a dwelling is a covered loan under the final rule.

That's why I got confused.

Return to Top
#2098235 - 09/13/16 04:21 PM Re: lan loans INOH
ComplyGuy Offline
Gold Star
If the plan is to build a principal dwelling or vacation home on the empty lot in the future, then that would be a consumer purpose loan with all the applicable consumer regs (TRID & MLA).

Return to Top
#2098260 - 09/13/16 05:46 PM Re: lan loans INOH
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By INOH
Land loans are considered investment loans at the bank so they are classified as commercial loans. Sometimes the land is used for agricultural purposes, or just as investments, sometimes to build in the future.

So, if the bank classifies these loans as commercial loans... but the MLA considers them as covered loans, do we have to change the classification of these loans?

Say WHAT? The bank decides to classify all land loans as commercial? Oh my oh my. That's really very scary. Only your borrower can disclose what their intentions for the use of the land are going to be! (business, ag, personal).

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z