Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2098227 - 09/13/16 04:06 PM CTR scenario with exempt accounts
EB, CAMS Offline
100 Club
EB, CAMS
flyover country
Customer has c-store business that is phase II exempt for CTR filings. Customer also has personal accounts at the bank. Yesterday customer made a cash deposit to the business account for $10,250.00. In the same visit, he deposits $9,750 cash to his personal account.

My thought is that the CTR is not required because the greater than $10k was deposited to an exempt account. Is that correct?

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2098244 - 09/13/16 04:57 PM Re: CTR scenario with exempt accounts EB, CAMS
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
You might not have to file a CTR but I would look closely into the activity into his account. He might be structuring, also where did the $9,750 come from?

Return to Top
#2098251 - 09/13/16 05:03 PM Re: CTR scenario with exempt accounts EB, CAMS
EB, CAMS Offline
100 Club
EB, CAMS
flyover country
Thanks RockChucker. And yes, we were already onto the suspicious activity angle for the personal account activity, regardless of the CTR filing. We suspect the funds may have come from the business. But I can't confirm that.

Return to Top
#2098255 - 09/13/16 05:26 PM Re: CTR scenario with exempt accounts EB, CAMS
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
To confirm your thoughts, Frog Lady, because the C-store is exempt, for CTR purposes you ignore the deposit to the C-store account and only look at the other transaction. Since it doesn't trigger a CTR filing, you don't file.

If you start to see a pattern of transactions like the two that prompted this discussion, you should consider ditching the exemption so that you'll be filing on the owner's cash deposits, too. And continue your monitoring for suspect activity.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z