Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2098485 - 09/14/16 06:16 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
YUM! I bet that was awesome!

Mustard and ketchup [keep out of the sun or it will sour sick ] do not go bad. Neither does mayo if refrigerated.

Milk - only buy Organic and it lasts WAY longer than I would ever leave it laying around.

Raw eggs - so long as they don't float...they are fine...WAY longer I would imagine than the date will show.

Meat - now this is where I'm finicky...unless I friggin forget what day I took it out of the freezer. Then out comes the nose test. smirk

Canned goods are supposed to indefinite as long as the can is undamaged. That's why emergency provisions are supposed to do.
smile

Bread? If it WILL mold, you are buying a half way decent kind of bread...just sayin

Hard cheese - cut the green off and chow down...Soft Cheese - chunk it.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2098488 - 09/14/16 06:17 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Sorry, I'd correct my typos up there but it's too much trouble. laugh!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2098497 - 09/14/16 06:29 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? RR Joker
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By RR Joker
Sorry, I'd correct my typos up there but it's too much trouble. laugh!

what tpyos?

CAMS

Return to Top
#2098498 - 09/14/16 06:32 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? thomasj
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Originally Posted By thomasj
Things I can't unsee:

The office coffee pot "cleaned" with a toilet brush (claim was that it was a new toilet brush, doesn't matter).

That made me laugh! Guess TJ would take exception to me using the nail brush to clean the dog poo from the tread of my running shoes in our bathroom....

Return to Top
#2098500 - 09/14/16 06:36 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? 'Lil Freak!
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Originally Posted By 'Lil Freak!
Originally Posted By thomasj
Things I can't unsee:

The office coffee pot "cleaned" with a toilet brush (claim was that it was a new toilet brush, doesn't matter).

That made me laugh! Guess TJ would take exception to me using the nail brush to clean the dog poo from the tread of my running shoes in our bathroom....

I'm thinking Mrs. Freak would take issue with that too...... sick

Return to Top
#2098510 - 09/14/16 07:12 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
The posted date on the food is a fairly strong date for me tossing things out.
Been burned one to many times with the old "oh it should be fine"
Also if it is freezer burned. it is gone!!

Return to Top
#2098528 - 09/14/16 07:57 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
Freezer burned food gets tossed because it tastes awful if we cook it.. One of my reasons for never buying a floor freezer. Yech, food in freezer for months.

Return to Top
#2098534 - 09/14/16 08:06 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? The Minion
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Not to derail the topic, but Friday I noticed a foul odor coming from behind the fridge when the compressor is running [it smells like dog poo and it's not from my shoe]. I pulled the fridge out thinking something was behind it. Nope...nothing but cobwebs. And the fridge does not have exposed condenser coils. I looked under the fridge for the evaporator pan, but I couldn't find one (it's an Amana with a bottom freezer). The inside doesn't smell. I did, however, find a bag of jalapenos that were given to us a couple months ago and they were squishy and moldy and met the expired/non-edible criteria. I tossed the bag, but the fridge was still emitting a dog turd smell this morning.

I'm baffled.

Return to Top
#2098535 - 09/14/16 08:22 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
The smell was probably absorbed by something else. Put an open box of baking soda in there for a week.

Return to Top
#2098542 - 09/14/16 08:39 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? MyBrainHurts
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
Originally Posted By MyBrainHurts
The smell was probably absorbed by something else. Put an open box of baking soda in there for a week.

I can remember my mom putting boxes of baking soda and Kingsford charcoal around the house. I don't think she ever figured out that it was supposed to be activated charcoal.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2098552 - 09/14/16 09:08 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
freak - if everywhere you go you smell dog poo but can't find it, possibly look in the mirror under your nose...hey, just following logical progression... eek

Return to Top
#2098561 - 09/14/16 09:30 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? HappyGilmore
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
It's only coming from behind the refrigerator when the compressor kicks in. And the nail brush after the "incident."

Return to Top
#2098604 - 09/15/16 12:25 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? 'Lil Freak!
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
UPDATE: By yesterday after work the smell was gone! It was the mushy, moldy jalapenos. They didn't have a "best by" date, but after a couple months (or more!) they aren't good. Just sayin'.....

Return to Top
#2098622 - 09/15/16 01:50 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? 'Lil Freak!
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
I don't.....I say I DON'T EVER throw up......OK....sometimes I have to, but I will fight it to the bitter end. THEREFORE, I chunk out of date stuff. I had food poisoning one time....bad enough to end up in the ER...worst throwing up EVER....dry heaves, on and on and on. So out of date stuff gets chunked. I don't want to be sick! I am paranoid about it.

At the office, one of the senior managers, believe it or not, is VERY involved in fridge maintenance, though, to my knowledge, he never puts anything in there. He is an ex-marine and is strict. Employees fear for their lives if they put food in the fridge and forget about it and the food can be traced back to them. About once per month, this senior officer sends out an email that by 4PM, EVERYTHING that is still in the fridge will be thrown in the trash, no matter what it is. Needless to say, our fridge stays cleaner than my fridge at home.

What about medicine? I used to intricately go through mine and toss any that is past the expiration date. My doctor said that almost all medicine in the form of pills (other than antibiotics) are good indefinitely and the shelf life of liquid meds extends way past the expiration date. My problem is....I would hate to be sick and want relief and take a med that is old and it doesn't work. I will keep meds a bit past the expiration date but not much.

Return to Top
#2098646 - 09/15/16 03:05 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? swiggles
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
You shouldn't be just throwing out meds...just sayin'. They need to be properly disposed of, especially narcotics. Either find a med drop or check this Directions for flushing meds is here.

Return to Top
#2098650 - 09/15/16 03:11 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
Peepers Offline
10K Club
storm sewer

Return to Top
#2098651 - 09/15/16 03:11 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? swiggles
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By swiggles
... About once per month, this senior officer sends out an email that by 4PM, EVERYTHING that is still in the fridge will be thrown in the trash, no matter what it is. Needless to say, our fridge stays cleaner than my fridge at home...

Why bother with email notices... most Monday mornings when I come in (I'm the first here) I just chuck most of whatever remained from the week before as I brew the coffee. Tupperware and all, in the trash it goes.

Return to Top
#2098658 - 09/15/16 03:32 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? #Just Jay
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Quote:
You shouldn't be just throwing out meds...just sayin'. They need to be properly disposed of, especially narcotics. Either find a med drop or check this Directions for flushing meds is here.
I do that already.....just didn't want to elaborate in the thread. I DO remember, back in the day, when the prescribed method of disposal was to flush down the toilet!

Return to Top
#2098660 - 09/15/16 03:35 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? swiggles
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Quote:

Quote:
About once per month, this senior officer sends out an email that by 4PM, EVERYTHING that is still in the fridge will be thrown in the trash, no matter what it is. Needless to say, our fridge stays cleaner than my fridge at home...

Why bother with email notices... most Monday mornings when I come in (I'm the first here) I just chuck most of whatever remained from the week before as I brew the coffee. Tupperware and all, in the trash it goes.

I don't put anything in the fridge or freezer without clearly marking it with my name. I keep a few items in the fridge all the time...that I don't want to have to remember to bring from home.

Return to Top
#2098678 - 09/15/16 04:19 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
every Friday at 4:00 PM anything left in our work fridge is toast...cleaning crew guts everything but the shelves...took a couple of weeks of people having their Tupperware containers thrown away before they realized it was the real deal...plus, there is a huge sign on it that says that

Return to Top
#2098698 - 09/15/16 05:01 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? HappyGilmore
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Originally Posted By HappyGilmore
every Friday at 4:00 PM anything left in our work fridge is toast...cleaning crew guts everything but the shelves...took a couple of weeks of people having their Tupperware containers thrown away before they realized it was the real deal...plus, there is a huge sign on it that says that

well how am I to know that my Tupperware is going to be tossed if the sign only says "that" mad laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#2098702 - 09/15/16 05:20 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club

Return to Top
#2098734 - 09/15/16 06:55 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? HappyGilmore
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles

The author obviously doesn't work for a living........................

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2