Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2098268 - 09/13/16 06:18 PM It's Expired, but is it Still Edible?
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Are you willing to eat food that is past its "sell by" or "best before" date? If so, how far past that date are you willing to go? Should this be an X-Games event? laugh

Milk: I'll go 2 days past the date as long as it smells OK.
Ketchup and mustard: I'll go a good month past as long as it's not crusted, lumpy, etc.
Mayo: I'll go about 2 weeks past.
Ground beef/turkey: I'll go about 3 days past but be sure to cook it thoroughly.
Canned goods: No set time, but they get the bachelor smell-test.
Eggs: About a week, cooked thoroughly.

How about once you've opened or cooked something, how long will you eat on the leftovers until dumping them? With most things, I'll go about 5 days.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2098270 - 09/13/16 06:24 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
best before

So it is no longer best but still good

CAMS

Return to Top
#2098271 - 09/13/16 06:27 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
I don't pay attention to sell by or best before dates at all. I check the food instead. I've had milk sour way before the sell by date and also last 2 weeks past that date. I tend to get milk from an OK dairy so I feel like it lasts longer. I'll also keep our eggs for a couple weeks on the counter if they last that long. Note I only keep the eggs from our chickens on the counter. If they're store bought, they stay in the fridge. Feeding 3 boys though, we don't often have an egg go bad.

What are leftovers? Please see my comment about feeding 3 boys. We haven't had a leftover anything in YEARS!

Return to Top
#2098277 - 09/13/16 06:43 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I would rather buy milk from an OK dairy than a horrible dairy

CAMS

Return to Top
#2098282 - 09/13/16 06:50 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
We only say OK because we can't spell mediocre as the old joke goes. laugh

Return to Top
#2098292 - 09/13/16 07:17 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
My stomach gets upset pretty easy - so I tend to toss based on date more than my husband. He would still eat it, but I won't take a chance. And regardless of date, if it's the least bit questionable based on look,smell or any other factor - it's gone.

And i HATE to throw food away... wish I had a close grocery store so I could shop more often and not have to extend the time between trips.

Return to Top
#2098298 - 09/13/16 07:33 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
With just two of us, we always have leftovers, since we still cook like we have kids at home. I go home for lunch, so I'm the one who has to finish leftovers. I'll drink milk as long as it smells ok. I've been known to trim mold off cheese and eat the rest. I won't eat bread once it starts getting moldy. When meat starts to get a bit of a greenish tint, it has to be thrown out.

Return to Top
#2098308 - 09/13/16 08:02 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
those dates are just put there to make you buy more stuff...I have milk last more than 2 weeks past the expiration date with no issues...but in week 3 it did come out lumpy...

Return to Top
#2098343 - 09/13/16 09:32 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#2098356 - 09/13/16 11:13 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? waldensouth
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
I'll go a month or more with Greek yogurt. How does one know if it's bad (other than if there is mold)?

Return to Top
#2098375 - 09/14/16 01:17 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
Nope, not me. My husband and I have been arguing over this exact thing for 25 years. I refuse to smell milk. I throw it out the same date stamped on the jug. I periodically go through the refrigerator and pantry and just start tossing. I do not care. Yes, I will buy more and put that hard earned dollar in the manufacturer's and food store's pockets. I refuse to take a chance.

I'm done, carry on with your day.

Return to Top
#2098392 - 09/14/16 02:04 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I agree with The Minionâ„¢. After rolling the dice on some questionable milk one time and ending up in the ER due to dehydration after being violently ill I do not take chances. I also am fanatical about washing my hands multiple times and changing utensils while cooking to avoid cross contamination. I am not rich, but it won't break me to throw out some milk or meat that is past the date. As for cooked food, I generally have a 3 day rule, if it's not gone after 3 days it goes in the trash.

Return to Top
#2098394 - 09/14/16 02:04 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? The Minion
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
"...Somewhere in Middle Americ...
You just made my day, Minion.

At a former bank of mine, we had a "Kitchen Committee." We took turns on the committee, serving for a month. Each Friday, we were tasked with cleaning out unclaimed food. My first Friday, a co-committee member handed me a Tupperware container and said, "Smell this and tell me what you think." I took it from her and tossed it in the trash. I'm not smelling anything in some attempt to see if I should eat it.

Return to Top
#2098405 - 09/14/16 02:33 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
The Minion Offline
Platinum Poster
The Minion
I have run into a rogue petri dish or 2 in my day. I definitely will not open one on purpose. Work refrigerators are the worst. I used to be the microwave cleaner and drain bleacher during my first bank stint. Women would not think twice about putting an open container and nuke it, then actually eat it. Ugh How they didn't mind getting week old food drippings in their lunch is still mind boggling. Or attempt to wash, "clean", a food container in a sink that has a mud colored drain along with a sponge that has families of germs festering in it.
Yes people, my home stinks of bleach. Granted, the dog hair just wisps around on the bleach cleaned surfaces. I would wash the dogs in bleach if I could, though. LOL
Sorry, I threw this way off into left field. Go that way ----> now

Return to Top
#2098411 - 09/14/16 02:54 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Milk/cheese/other dairy: Smell - if looks good, smells good, and tastes good, who cares what the date is?.
Ketchup and mustard: indefinite, as long as it's not crusted, lumpy, etc.
Mayo: Mayo has never been in danger of reaching the expiration date.
Ground beef/turkey: had a bad experience with "2 day old" ground beef...I'm now pretty strict on this one.
Sandwich meat: a few days beyond the date (as long as it smells and looks okay).
Canned goods: No set time, but they get the smell-test.
Eggs: We eat eggs almost daily - never in danger of reaching expiration date.
Leftovers: 1 week maximum or look/smell/texture test; whichever is earlier.

Has anyone noticed bottled water has an expiration date? Just how does that work?

Return to Top
#2098412 - 09/14/16 03:03 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
Minion, I think we are long lost sisters. I feel like all I do is police the fridge and sink here!!
I hate to throw out food, but I also am not willing to get sick to save a few bucks.

Return to Top
#2098427 - 09/14/16 03:49 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? The Minion
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By The Minion
Or attempt to wash, "clean", a food container in a sink that has a mud colored drain along with a sponge that has families of germs festering in it.

Yup! I stopped drinking the coffee here when I watched the pot get "cleaned" one night.

And yes, bottled water does have an expiration...although we've never gotten there. With kids in the house, food and drink don't last long! I find it funny that my teen doesn't want to eat anything (like canned goods) where the expiration date is way in the future. Her thinking is....what must they have done to that poor food item to get it to last that long?

Return to Top
#2098430 - 09/14/16 04:04 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? Cornfed Turtle
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
I will never put anything into, or take anything out of, the office refrigerator. I don't even open it to look in there. What I don't know can't disgust me.

Return to Top
#2098435 - 09/14/16 04:15 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Office refrigerators are a completely different story. Luckily there are only 3 of us in our little suite so we are good about not leaving things to grow new things.

Return to Top
#2098437 - 09/14/16 04:23 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Things I can't unsee:

The office coffee pot "cleaned" with a toilet brush (claim was that it was a new toilet brush, doesn't matter).

Someone attempt to unclog the office kitchen sink with a plunger retrieved from the restroom.

People who swig from a plastic water bottle, then shove the nozzle of that bottle onto the spigot of the water cooler to refill it.

Someone walk out of the stall in the restroom, right past the sink without washing their hands, and moments later seeing that same person standing in the lunchroom where their hands touched the refrigerator door, the handle of the coffee pot, the microwave, etc.

Return to Top
#2098438 - 09/14/16 04:24 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? Cornfed Turtle
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
And yes, bottled water does have an expiration

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/05/16/newser-ancient-water/2165757/

Almost as old a Pale laugh

CAMS

Return to Top
#2098440 - 09/14/16 04:29 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? thomasj
Cornfed Turtle Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By thomasj
Things I can't unsee:

The office coffee pot "cleaned" with a toilet brush (claim was that it was a new toilet brush, doesn't matter).

Someone attempt to unclog the office kitchen sink with a plunger retrieved from the restroom.

People who swig from a plastic water bottle, then shove the nozzle of that bottle onto the spigot of the water cooler to refill it.

Someone walk out of the stall in the restroom, right past the sink without washing their hands, and moments later seeing that same person standing in the lunchroom where their hands touched the refrigerator door, the handle of the coffee pot, the microwave, etc.

Great....now I can't eat or drink outside of my home.

Return to Top
#2098444 - 09/14/16 04:49 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? Cornfed Turtle
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Originally Posted By Cornfed Turtle
Originally Posted By The Minion
Or attempt to wash, "clean", a food container in a sink that has a mud colored drain along with a sponge that has families of germs festering in it.

Yup! I stopped drinking the coffee here when I watched the pot get "cleaned" one night.

And yes, bottled water does have an expiration...although we've never gotten there. With kids in the house, food and drink don't last long! I find it funny that my teen doesn't want to eat anything (like canned goods) where the expiration date is way in the future. Her thinking is....what must they have done to that poor food item to get it to last that long?

I feel the same way about over processed foods Corny. My rule is that if my grandparents wouldn't recognize it as food, I try not to eat it. Now of course I have busy days and we're doing well to even have some semblance of actual food but I try my best to limit the preservatives.

Return to Top
#2098453 - 09/14/16 05:25 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? GuitarDude
burkemi Offline
Platinum Poster
Not exactly on topic, but I love this irony...

Cheese: aged for x years. expiration: next month.

I know it's because its been in a sealed container and blah blah blah, but I still find it ironic. Don't look at me that way, I work in compliance, being weird is part of the job description! eek crazy

And now back to your regularly scheduled Cooler topic.

Return to Top
#2098460 - 09/14/16 05:50 PM Re: It's Expired, but is it Still Edible? burkemi
Amandak Offline
Wisconsin
Originally Posted By burkemi
Not exactly on topic, but I love this irony...

Cheese: aged for x years. expiration: next month.

I know it's because its been in a sealed container and blah blah blah, but I still find it ironic.

Have been born and raised in the land of cheese heads it is very ironic lol. My husband had worked for a cheese factory that had reached 25 years of business. When the owners started the businesses they set few hundred pounds of cheddar aside to be aged until their 25th anniversary. It was the best tasting cheese I ever had!!! But yes the expiration date was a month from the day it was packaged.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2