BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2098825 - 09/16/16 02:18 PM inspection fee to Bank
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
need a little help ....

on a refinance of a consumer mortgage with additional funds for a remodel we disclosed (and charged the borrower) that the appraiser will be performing the inspections before the draws. however, a bank employee performed the inspections. Now management want to know if the bank can keep the funds for the services rendered. It seems deceptive to me, something doesn't seem right about keeping the funds but I can't put my finger on it.

thanks in advance

"Strip the Flesh, Salt the Wound" - Krieg

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2099123 - 09/19/16 04:18 PM Re: inspection fee to Bank DoS
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
any thoughts would be appreciated ....

Return to Top
#2099129 - 09/19/16 04:27 PM Re: inspection fee to Bank DoS
Norman Paperman Offline
Diamond Poster
Norman Paperman
48.934476, -114.343735
I would agree that you shouldn't retain those fees if you don't customarily charge borrowers for employee inspections. It certainly sounds deceptive to me. Refund the fee or have the appraiser perform the inspections.

CRCM

Return to Top
#2099131 - 09/19/16 04:29 PM Re: inspection fee to Bank DoS
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If you charge subsequent inspection fees upfront at loan closing, they should appear in Section A of the LE and CD and be treated as finance charges. Who you end up paying to do them (yourself or a third party) is moot.

Return to Top
#2099161 - 09/19/16 05:34 PM Re: inspection fee to Bank rlcarey
DoS Offline
Gold Star
DoS
one state over
Originally Posted By rlcarey
If you charge subsequent inspection fees upfront at loan closing, they should appear in Section A of the LE and CD and be treated as finance charges. Who you end up paying to do them (yourself or a third party) is moot.

the fees were disclosed in section "B services borrower did not shop for" as going to the appraiser.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z