Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#2098899 - 09/16/16 05:20 PM Equal Credit Opportunity Act - citizenship ?
jhoch Offline
Can a financial institution require an individual to provide their citizenship if it is a secured loan?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#2098905 - 09/16/16 05:35 PM Re: Equal Credit Opportunity Act - citizenship ? jhoch
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Is that not something you can already determine using SSN/ITIN and ID?

Return to Top
#2098943 - 09/16/16 06:49 PM Re: Equal Credit Opportunity Act - citizenship ? jhoch
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
"Citizenship?" is the most fundamental due diligence question of all; it does not make any difference what the proposed relationship might be.

Return to Top
#2099014 - 09/16/16 11:52 PM Re: Equal Credit Opportunity Act - citizenship ? jhoch
OldeTymeBanker Offline
Perhaps I don't understand the question. This is clarified on the W-9 form. Is the question whether or not the bank can deny a loan based on citizenship status?

Return to Top
#2099020 - 09/17/16 07:18 AM Re: Equal Credit Opportunity Act - citizenship ? jhoch
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
Are you talking about ECOA 1002.6?

Paragraph 6(b)(7)
1. National origin—immigration status. The applicant's immigration status and ties to the community (such as employment and continued residence in the area) could have a bearing on a creditor's ability to obtain repayment. Accordingly, the creditor may consider immigration status and differentiate, for example, between a noncitizen who is a long-time resident with permanent resident status and a noncitizen who is temporarily in this country on a student visa.

2. National origin—citizenship. A denial of credit on the ground that an applicant is not a United States citizen is not per se discrimination based on national origin.

I would look at the collateral. It is not the (usual) intent to liquidate the collateral for repayment, so for collateral that the borrower has control over, it might be more of an issue than (e.g.) a loan secured by a CD held by the bank.

Return to Top
#2099044 - 09/19/16 12:46 PM Re: Equal Credit Opportunity Act - citizenship ? OldeTymeBanker
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Originally Posted By OldTymeBanker
Perhaps I don't understand the question. This is clarified on the W-9 form. Is the question whether or not the bank can deny a loan based on citizenship status?

The completion of a W-9 has nothing to do with citizenship.

Return to Top