Skip to content
GeoDataVision
Thread Options
#2099848 - 09/22/16 02:57 AM Copyof written authorization for preauthorized EFT
fct Offline
New Poster
If a customer initiates a payment though Bill Pay in our internet banking platform, are we in violation of Regulation E 1005.10(b) if we do not give them a written copy of their authorization?

The CFPB bulletin 2015-06 clarifies expectations of what should be included in a notice if we initiate a preauthorized EFT. They reiterate their expectation for all entities who obtain consumer authorizations for preauthorized EFTs to comply with 1005.10(b), but in the case of the customer logging in to internet banking, setting up a recurring bill pay... who is "initiating" this preauthorized EFT? The customer who logs in to set it up, or the bank who captures the customer instructions to debit their account in this way? Is the bank on the hook for the copy of the authorization?

I understand a third party merchant would be on the hook if they initiate the preauthorized EFT, but it seems grey to me if in the case of a bank carrying out the customer's directions. Maybe I'm taking the word "initiate" too literally.

Help.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2099855 - 09/22/16 11:05 AM Re: Copyof written authorization for preauthorized EFT fct
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You don't give them the option to print the authorization in your software at the time of set-up?

Return to Top
#2099878 - 09/22/16 01:08 PM Re: Copyof written authorization for preauthorized EFT rlcarey
fct Offline
New Poster
rlcarey, the product owner only offered me the internet banking general terms and conditions. It sounds like you opine we the bank are the initiator?

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett