Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2100138 - 09/23/16 04:39 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul JSD
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
Originally Posted By JSD
Zero new employees
221.9 Billion
2015 LAR = almost 132,000
Estimate increase of reportable loans (LOCs) = 51,000+

Wow JSD.. I can't even imagine. I'm assuming you have a rather sizeable staff responsible for this information already, correct?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2100139 - 09/23/16 04:42 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul #Just Jay
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
Originally Posted By #Just Jay

I feel Walden hit on the bigger point above, though, and we have to be thinking farther out and long term: what stories does the data now tell the bank and examiners that aren't readily identified currently. If you do not have the expertise or have the staff with the expertise to correctly analyze all of the new data points and how they can be used to work together and against you, who will you turn to do that for you? Is that where you hire a new analyst? Or is that where you bring in a firm to review for you? This potential increase in staffing to outsourcing costs needs to be considered as well.

I concur with both of you. Bank's better have fair lending issues identified and have a plan in place to address any gaps in lending or performed reviews of pricing disparities before the examiners arrive. HMDA is just the tip of the iceberg.

Return to Top
#2100141 - 09/23/16 04:47 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul Third Trip
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA

Originally Posted By Third Trip

As of now, no new employees.

1.1 Billion
2015 LAR- 550
Estimated- 1000-1100

And not to hijack this thread, but curious as to where the HMDA function resides within your organization; business line or compliance. By that, I mean, who is responsible for the final scrub, consolidation and submission.

Not hijacking at all Third Trip - certainly a valuable part of the conversation.

Currently the department conducts an internal (first line) review but there is not a true HMDA person. The responsibility is shared between UW and other staff and error rates have hovered around 10% over the last year. Unfortunately because of that I have to conduct 100% review which takes up a very considerable amount of my time. We are hoping to have staffing for a true first line of defense in the departments so we can conduct a true second review and sample. Right now I'm essentially the first and last line of defense... which is the WRONG way to do it. But if I don't do it, it wont get done and we will have time bombs for the next exam.

welcome to BOL by the way!

Return to Top
#2100278 - 09/26/16 01:08 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul JC (Darth HMDA)
JSD Offline
Platinum Poster
JSD
USA
We do not have the staff that peers our size do - we are very small group of 4...

Return to Top
#2100328 - 09/26/16 04:04 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul JC (Darth HMDA)
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
Wow JSD.... you must be superhuman. That's insane!!

Return to Top
#2100331 - 09/26/16 04:09 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul JC (Darth HMDA)
JSD Offline
Platinum Poster
JSD
USA
Submission time is a crazy world around here!!!

Return to Top
#2100354 - 09/26/16 05:15 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul JC (Darth HMDA)
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
JSD, do you mean there are four of you doing HMDA all year or ...?

Return to Top
#2100359 - 09/26/16 05:24 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul JC (Darth HMDA)
JSD Offline
Platinum Poster
JSD
USA
Yes! That is the total FTE of the HMDA Unit at this FI.

Return to Top
#2100386 - 09/26/16 06:19 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul JC (Darth HMDA)
JWills, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
JWills, CRCM
The Mitten State
None at this point. We do most of it manually, there are two of us. We are the only compliance officers for our bank.
We are $262 M
2015 LAR-estimate 350-400 entries

--Dr. Seuss

Return to Top
#2100391 - 09/26/16 06:32 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul JC (Darth HMDA)
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Four people working on HMDA year round makes the numbers you quoted a tad more manageable, imho, JSD. Still overwhelming at submission time but you've had all year to scrub as you go, right?
Most of us are dual purpose compliance/HMDA and don't get to just focus on HMDA.
I should think 2018 is going to force a lot of us to go the way your bank has with devoted personnel.

Return to Top
#2100420 - 09/26/16 07:44 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul JC (Darth HMDA)
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I would guess that JSD's bank has business units held accountable for submitting clean data because that size LAR wouldn't be manageable otherwise. I do not know the process but I have worked at institutions with LARs that size and each business unit was responsible for managing its data, running error reports, testing, etc. and it was then submitted to a central corporate group that combined it all and ran additional testing. So, staffing needs trickle down to the business lines as well as the corporate group.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#2100502 - 09/27/16 01:39 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul JC (Darth HMDA)
JSD Offline
Platinum Poster
JSD
USA
Yes you are correct Kaybee! The first line of defense is each line of business (LOB) as it is their responsibility to capture and pass accurate data. Within each LOB internal HMDA reviews are performed. Within our group of 4 we do our own monitoring for each LOB typically quarterly. Then Audit performs their work annually. We do a large amount of consulting with each LOB daily. We have one technical person who imports the data, manages the edits and gets LAR data ready through a software program. There are many checks and balances performed along the way by all who touch reportable loan files. The new requirements are very challenging as we are in the process of changing many of the operating loan systems at the same time of configuring the new 110 data fields. It is always a challenge with regulation changes for a bank this size - it is not easy to get this ship running in a different direction as the CFPB wants!

Return to Top
#2100532 - 09/27/16 03:07 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul JSD
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I used to have an employee when I managed Credit Policy and Procedures at a large bank who would tell Legal, when they would wanted a last minute change (without legal impact), "We can't turn this ship that quickly. We will get your change at the next update."
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#2100603 - 09/27/16 06:08 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul JC (Darth HMDA)
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
Thank you JSD and KayBee!

Return to Top
#2103746 - 10/19/16 06:38 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul JC (Darth HMDA)
Banker K, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
Currently they are not approving an addition of any new employees for this. I have suggested 1 at minimum just to help with our current reviews that we in Compliance perform.

All comments are mine & should not be taken as legal advice.

Return to Top
#2103818 - 10/19/16 11:46 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul JC (Darth HMDA)
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
Thank you Banker K. May I ask the size of the institution & LAR?

Thanks!

Return to Top
#2103845 - 10/20/16 01:15 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul JC (Darth HMDA)
Banker K, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
@ Darth HMDA,

Yes, we are just over $500Mil and our LARs have averaged 1,200 entries with our in-house and secondary market combined.
We don't anticipate a huge increase in records being added in 2018 with addition of revolvers because we will be losing many of our smaller in-house "home improvement NOT secured by RE" loans in exchange in 2018.

However, the audit time will significantly increase since essentially the fields to be checked will triple, so I definitely believe we need at least 1 more person to help with internal audits.

All comments are mine & should not be taken as legal advice.

Return to Top
#2105859 - 11/03/16 04:06 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul David Dickinson
Catm1991 Offline
100 Club
MO
Ya, ours will be 0. It's still going to be just the 1 person...me. And I do the denials and withdrawls, plus I do real estate loan review!

Return to Top
#2105868 - 11/03/16 04:41 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul JC (Darth HMDA)
Catm1991 Offline
100 Club
MO
Our Asset size is 435 million
2016 LAR so far is 557 through Sept reporting, probably ending with around 700+
Estimate increase of reporting will be another 200+

And no plans to hire another FTE, it's just going to be myself.

Return to Top
#2110016 - 12/07/16 08:57 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul Dani York, CRCM
ccman Offline
Platinum Poster
We're about the same size and no. of LARs. Our LARs have declined since 2012 despite having a full blown mortgage department that other banks 10X our size do not have. These changes should not be applicable to small institutions which should be granted a small creditor exemption from HMDA altogether. PERIOD. How meaningful is this data of a small community bank reporting less than 200 LARs that's doing all it can to compete with the MEGA BANKS in its community. One size fits all regs do not fit any longer. We need a change! Oh wait!!

Return to Top
#2115991 - 01/27/17 09:41 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul JC (Darth HMDA)
Catm1991 Offline
100 Club
MO
We are adding none....I'm it! Just me....I am feeling so overwhelmed right now!! I'm finishing up 2016 and going to be submitting 2016 and all this new stuff in my head at the same time is about to give me brain overload!!!

Return to Top
#2115996 - 01/27/17 09:49 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul JC (Darth HMDA)
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
Thank you for responding Catm. May we ask the size of your current LAR and your estimated size of the 2018 LAR (if you are aware).

I'm sorry to hear you are on your own... Jan/Feb are always a challenge for those of us who deal with HMDA. Believe me I understand. I wish you the best of luck!!

Return to Top
#2115999 - 01/27/17 10:10 PM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul JC (Darth HMDA)
Catm1991 Offline
100 Club
MO
Current LAR is 684, and estimated size for 2018 is estimated to be well over 1500.

Return to Top
#2116028 - 01/30/17 12:04 AM Re: How many FTE will you add due to the HMDA Overhaul JC (Darth HMDA)
JC (Darth HMDA) Offline
Diamond Poster
JC (Darth HMDA)
CA
thank you for sharing Catm.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2