Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2015492 - 05/21/15 05:38 PM Construction Loan - Estimated Property Tax
Tarhe Offline
Diamond Poster
California
As it pertains to an initial construction loan, what amount do we show for estimated property taxes on the Loan Estimate (and Closing Disclosure)? Would it be the amount of taxes currently paid on the propery as vacant land? Or would it be the property taxes that will be assessed after the dwelling is complete? I'm thinking it would be the vacant land amount as the assessor will assess property taxes upon completion of construction for final taxes, right?

Return to Top
TRID - TILA/RESPA Integrated Disclosures Rule
#2015583 - 05/21/15 08:31 PM Re: Construction Loan - Estimated Property Tax Tarhe
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
From 1026.37(c)(5):

"(5) Calculation of taxes and insurance. For purposes of paragraphs (c)(2)(iii) and (4)(ii) of this section, estimated property taxes and homeowner's insurance shall reflect:

"(i) The taxable assessed value of the real property securing the transaction after consummation, including the value of any improvements on the property or to be constructed on the property, if known, whether or not such construction will be financed from the proceeds of the transaction, for property taxes; and

"(ii) The replacement costs of the property during the initial year after the transaction, for amounts identified in § 1026.4(b)(8)."
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2015585 - 05/21/15 08:40 PM Re: Construction Loan - Estimated Property Tax Tarhe
Tarhe Offline
Diamond Poster
California
As the reg uses the caveat "if known", if we do not know the estimated property taxes that include the value of the SFR to be constructed (because not known within 3 days), then we would discloose the estimated property taxes on the land value? Or, I suppose this then kicks in the "good faith" requirement where we contact the tax assessor based on the "property value" at completion as given to us by the consumer? How are others coming up with the estimated property tax for an interim construction loan?

Return to Top
#2015634 - 05/22/15 02:22 AM Re: Construction Loan - Estimated Property Tax Tarhe
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
From the preamble to the regulation:

The Bureau believes that creditors will determine appropriate and efficient methods to make good faith estimates of such amounts based on the best information reasonably available, and that it is not appropriate to prescribe by rule the exact method that creditors must use to make such estimates.

The tax rates in most places are not a secret nor is the method used to compute property taxes. This is one area that banks are going to have to be prepared to address - based on a "good faith effort" of course.

Return to Top
#2016064 - 05/26/15 08:10 PM Re: Construction Loan - Estimated Property Tax Tarhe
iLovetheVols, CRCM Offline
Texas
What about property insurance? Does anyone have a reliable and consistent method to estimate property insurance across multiple regions?

Return to Top
#2037936 - 09/10/15 07:50 PM Re: Construction Loan - Estimated Property Tax Tarhe
Red Raiders Offline
Diamond Poster
Red Raiders
Compliance Land
I have this same question about insurance on the LE for a construction loan. Any suggestions on the best way to estimate for a construction loan without having to call insurance companies?

Return to Top
#2037950 - 09/10/15 08:22 PM Re: Construction Loan - Estimated Property Tax Tarhe
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Tax estimators exist. This should be a big problem...but insurance is another matter entirely. Location, location, location...and materials...is going to be a huge issue to figure out.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2037954 - 09/10/15 08:24 PM Re: Construction Loan - Estimated Property Tax Tarhe
Red Raiders Offline
Diamond Poster
Red Raiders
Compliance Land
I'm comfortable with our estimates on taxes but no real solution for insurance.... frown

Return to Top
#2038252 - 09/14/15 01:36 PM Re: Construction Loan - Estimated Property Tax Red Raiders
Red Raiders Offline
Diamond Poster
Red Raiders
Compliance Land
Anyone have any thoughts on insurance estimation?

Return to Top
#2038273 - 09/14/15 03:00 PM Re: Construction Loan - Estimated Property Tax Tarhe
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You mean you don't have a ballpark estimate of what homeowner's insurance is going to be on a completed structure?? What have you been doing for the last 5 years on the GFE on purchase transactions for disclosing homeowner's insurance???

Return to Top
#2038290 - 09/14/15 03:36 PM Re: Construction Loan - Estimated Property Tax Tarhe
Red Raiders Offline
Diamond Poster
Red Raiders
Compliance Land
We do but I wasn't sure if that estimation was still enough. I know this is an unlimited tolerance item but with all the emphasis on making these figures "in good faith" I didn't know if we had to go to some additional effort to get as absolutely close as possible. I must be starting to overthink some of this...

Return to Top
#2038297 - 09/14/15 03:48 PM Re: Construction Loan - Estimated Property Tax Tarhe
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
If your current estimates as not "in good faith" you are in current violation of RESPA. Nothing regarding that requirement has really changed.

Return to Top
#2100506 - 09/27/16 02:02 PM Re: Construction Loan - Estimated Property Tax Tarhe
Dodge Offline
Gold Star
For construction loans we require a Builder's Risk Policy, which will be disclosed under the Pre-paid section. However, in the estimated taxes and insurance section on the first page of the Loan Estimate, we would only disclosed the estimate amount for Homeowner's Insurance, not the Builder's Risk Policy?

Right now our system is disclosing the Builder's Risk and Property taxes. I can add an estimate for Homeowner's Insurance, but it will double the estimated amount because it will still disclosed the Builder's Rick Policy, as well.

In summary, the estimated property cost should only disclose the amounts for Property taxes and Homeowner's insurance, and leave Builder's Risk out?

Return to Top
#2101866 - 10/05/16 04:26 PM Re: Construction Loan - Estimated Property Tax Dodge
Compliance NABW Offline
Diamond Poster
Per the recent Compliance Resource webinar, the premiums for Builder's Risk Insurance are included in the Estimated Taxes and Insurance section.

Return to Top