Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2101188 - 09/30/16 03:13 PM Mobile Home Park
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
We are refinancing a mobile home park. The appraisal notes that the spaces are rented at below market value. Could this be counted as a community development loan for affordable housing? The park is located in a moderate income location.

Return to Top
CRA
#2101207 - 09/30/16 03:41 PM Re: Mobile Home Park TMatt87
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Ideas of how an examiner will look at this gets quite esoteric when comparing rents and what is below market. I doubt they will take an appraiser's word for it, although they may be considered a third party to the bank. Any idea what rent the appraiser was using for market rent? When he established the market rent, did he then take 80% of that number to determine the rent for low-and-moderate-income individuals to determine affordability?

But don't give up, since it is an LMI tract, maybe you can argue stabilization rather than affordable housing.

Return to Top
#2101213 - 09/30/16 03:46 PM Re: Mobile Home Park TMatt87
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Agree that you will need more info to back up the statement of below market rent.

If there are aspects of the use of funds that could support stabilization/revitalization (fixing up the park?), that is work examining.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#2108816 - 11/28/16 09:23 PM Re: Mobile Home Park TMatt87
wblewis935 Offline
I'd like to bring this thread back up, if I may. I'm having a serious case of brain freeze... and not the good Ice Cream kind.

We have a similar situation. However, we reported this as a HMDA loan. So, my question; Mobile home parks aren't considered multifamily, correct? Since each individual mobile home is considered a single-family dwelling.

If that is the case, I wouldn't be able to present this as affordable housing (below market rents) for CD to an examiner, since it is HMDA reported. Am I thinking this through correctly?
Last edited by wblewis935; 11/28/16 09:24 PM.
Return to Top
#2108863 - 11/29/16 09:58 AM Re: Mobile Home Park TMatt87
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Under current rules, it depends upon what your collateral is. Are you secured by actual dwellings?

Under revised rules, a mobile home park (manufactured home community) is considered a dwelling for HMDA even if no homes are on the site pads. Each pad is a unit and a park with 5 or more is multifamily.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top