Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2101331 - 09/30/16 08:42 PM Mortgage Loan Originator Compensation - turnaround
morirse de risa Offline
100 Club
Midwest
We are considering paying our loan originators if they process the loans and are able to close the loan with a quick turnaround time between application and closing (i.e. 30 days instead of 45 days). Since loan time isn't technically a term of the loan, would this be an issue for originator compensation restrictions?

Return to Top
Loan Originator Compensation Rule
#2101347 - 10/01/16 05:45 AM Re: Mortgage Loan Originator Compensation - turnaround morirse de risa
Inspector Offline
Gold Star
You have to pass two hurdles, compensation on a term of the loan and compensation on a proxy for the term of the loan.

Someone with more experience would have to weigh in but perhaps the time to close could be a proxy as certain loan types or terms may consistently close faster than others?

It seems that compensating this way could encourage cutting corners as well. Just my thoughts.

Return to Top
#2101349 - 10/01/16 11:31 AM Re: Mortgage Loan Originator Compensation - turnaround morirse de risa
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I agree, you are going to do nothing but encourage sloppy work and short cuts.

Return to Top
#2101416 - 10/03/16 03:30 PM Re: Mortgage Loan Originator Compensation - turnaround morirse de risa
morirse de risa Offline
100 Club
Midwest
I do agree we would encourage short cuts, but it would be my job to make sure this doesn't happen.

Can someone explain "compensation on a proxy for the term of the loan"? We would only offer this incentive for our standard 15 or 30 year closed-end loan product.

Return to Top
#2101423 - 10/03/16 03:54 PM Re: Mortgage Loan Originator Compensation - turnaround morirse de risa
JustKeepSwimming Offline
Midwest
In my opinion, that could cause LOs to steer clients away from other products. So even though the incentive is technically not based on a term of the loan, the turn time is the "proxy" that could cause steering towards specific loan products.

Anyone else see it that way?
Last edited by JustKeepSwimming; 10/03/16 03:55 PM.
Return to Top
#2101523 - 10/03/16 10:39 PM Re: Mortgage Loan Originator Compensation - turnaround morirse de risa
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
JKS - yes - steering might be another problem as the loan officers steer clients to the types of loans that close the quickest.

Return to Top
#2111272 - 12/16/16 10:08 PM Re: Mortgage Loan Originator Compensation - turnaround morirse de risa
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
So, other than it possibly being a bad idea in general, is there any regulatory prohibition from paying an MLO an incentive to close there loans in a shorter timeframe?

Senior management wants to clear up some loans in the pipeline before year end, so they want to offer LO's $100 per loan that can be closed by year end. Any violation of MLO rules? I didn't see anything specific that addressed this, but you can never be sure so I thought I'd ask here, thanks.

Return to Top
#2111293 - 12/17/16 02:40 AM Re: Mortgage Loan Originator Compensation - turnaround morirse de risa
Inspector Offline
Gold Star
Again this could be considered compensation on a proxy for the term of the loan. Loan officers would have an incentive to steer customers into whichever product would close the quickest so they could get the bonus. I would say it could be problematic based on what you have described. I can't point you to a specific part of the regulation that says this is prohibited outside of the proxy analysis.

Return to Top