Ken gives good advice and has always been my rule of thumb, but technically, just maintaining a bank account is not conducting business in MA.
CHAPTER 156D Section 15.01. AUTHORITY TO TRANSACT BUSINESS REQUIRED
(a) A foreign corporation that transacts business or has a usual place of business in the commonwealth shall deliver the certificate required by section 15.03 to the secretary of state for filing.
(b) The following activities, among others, do constitute transacting business within the meaning of subsection (a):
(1) the ownership or leasing of real estate in the commonwealth;
(2) engaging in the construction, alteration or repair of any structure, railway or road; or
(3) engaging in any other activity requiring the performance of labor.
(c) The following activities, among others, without more, do not constitute transacting business within the meaning of subsection (a):
(1) maintaining, defending, or settling any proceeding;
(2) holding meetings of the board of directors or shareholders or carrying on other activities concerning internal corporate affairs;
(3) maintaining bank accounts;
The opinions expressed here should not be construed to be those of my employer: PPDocs.com