Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2103596 - 10/18/16 10:23 PM Reg E - Merhcant Dispute Scenarios
racingtofriday Offline
New Poster
Do any of the following merchant disputes (non-fraud) fall under Regulation E?

1. Returned merchandise: No credit provided by the merchant.
2. Cancellation on a single transaction: Customer authorized the merchant to debt their account for XXX, but called to cancel before the merchant charged.
3. Cancellation after transaction posted. Either no response was given or the merchant refused to issue a refund.
a. Customer authorized an online order, but immediately called to cancel.
b. Customer authorized and booked a hotel reservation, and later, cancelled their reservation.
c. Customer authorized a merchant to service their computer due to a virus, but found out that the company was conducting a scam, the customer immediately attempted to cancel.
4. Paid by other means: Customer’s dispute claims that a transaction was also paid using another method; however, they are unable to provide us proof of that other payment.
5. “Other": Customer has provided information to identify a specific transaction on their account; however, does not provide a reason as to why they are disputing?

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#2105226 - 10/29/16 02:48 PM Re: Reg E - Merhcant Dispute Scenarios racingtofriday
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Too many variables to easily answer all these. Example:
1. If merchant said he made a credit and it didn't show, that's an error. If the merchant took the return and offered no credit, there was no EFT to dispute. Instead they need to dispute the return policy.
2. How was it canceled, was it timely? I've seen customers want to put stops on checks after the checks cleared. But this could easily be an error if the single authorization was revoked.

Review what Reg E defines as errors and apply those rules to your specific fact pattern.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z