Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2104018 - 10/21/16 11:09 AM Customer Risk Rating for Equipment Lease Customers
jhoch Offline
Looking for comments on what banks do in regards to AML risk ratings for customers who only have an equipment lease product. I've heard from one bank that those customers can't receive a high risk rating unless they get other products. I'd like to get comments from other banks to see what they do.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2104022 - 10/21/16 12:27 PM Re: Customer Risk Rating for Equipment Lease Customers jhoch
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I've heard from one bank that those customers can't receive a high risk rating unless they get other products
Why?

CAMS

Return to Top
#2104023 - 10/21/16 12:45 PM Re: Customer Risk Rating for Equipment Lease Customers jhoch
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
You should be rating customers on your bank's risk profile not others. I agree with edAudit.

Return to Top
#2104024 - 10/21/16 12:52 PM Re: Customer Risk Rating for Equipment Lease Customers jhoch
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Slide show for compliance issues in the equipment leasing industry. It starts with money laundering.

The other bank's automatic "pass" may reflect nothing more than a lack of comprehension.

Return to Top
#2104051 - 10/21/16 02:50 PM Re: Customer Risk Rating for Equipment Lease Customers jhoch
jhoch Offline
I think the general theory is that the equipment lease product is a low risk for money laundering. FinCen in granting an exemption to the new Beneficial Ownership rules to equipment finance companies states that the product is a low risk for being used as a vehicle for money laundering. The reason I'm seeking comment is that we're having discussions about setting the thresholds for cutoffs between Low, Moderate and High Risk. In the absence of other banking products would there necessarily be a larger percentage of high risk customers. There's no set standard of how many customers in each category you should have (i.e. 10% should be high, 50% moderate etc. etc.) based on the overall risk profile of your organization. I found it a bit odd that the org I talked to would make it impossible to have a high risk customer (if only lease product) but maybe its me that's odd so i wanted to get comments from others.

Return to Top
#2104084 - 10/21/16 04:33 PM Re: Customer Risk Rating for Equipment Lease Customers jhoch
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I think the general theory is that the equipment lease product is a low risk for money laundering

Even if the equipment is know to be used for the manufacture of some illegal/sanctioned materials?

CAMS

Return to Top
#2104105 - 10/21/16 05:38 PM Re: Customer Risk Rating for Equipment Lease Customers edAudit
jhoch Offline
I didn't mean no risk I meant low risk.

Return to Top
#2109798 - 12/06/16 04:08 PM Re: Customer Risk Rating for Equipment Lease Customers jhoch
loyo111 Offline
100 Club
Miami
We risk rate them based off of their NAICS codes....and then on a yearly basis we take those names and run them against negative news and that is our High Risk review process.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z