Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2108981 - 11/29/16 08:42 PM When to hold, place on collection or refuse a chk
CalifDreamin Offline
Diamond Poster
CalifDreamin
Far from Calif
We seem to be having issues lately with holds: when to place them, when to send a check on collection in lieu of doing a hold, and when to just simply refuse the item for deposit (and how you explain all this to the customer).

This was in another post by Ken_Pegasus and it hits the issue we are having perfectly:
Quote:
However, I think the far more critical and helpful observation in an audit would be that the persons imposing those two holds lacked a fundamental understanding of how holds do and do not protect the bank.

They found a severed artery and they put a band-aid on it. Whether they put the band-aid on correctly is immaterial.

Does anyone have good training material, or a link to good resource material on this topic that covers this fundamental understanding?
Always
Say
A
Prayer
<><

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2109581 - 12/04/16 03:52 PM Re: When to hold, place on collection or refuse a chk CalifDreamin
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Not that I know of. You only place a hold in situations in which you will know if the check will not be paid within the hold time. Which for simplicity sake, I would pretty much limit to situations when the only question is whether the check is drawn on non-sufficient funds. Anything else, I would train people to send for collections or refuse the deposit.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett