BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2111175 - 12/16/16 06:03 PM multiple cats and special diets
CloudShape Offline
Platinum Poster
CloudShape
Edge of Sanity
I have two senior cats (14 and 17) and the oldest one was recently diagnosed with stage 2 kidney failure and is now on a special diet. My other senior will occasionally get into her food (although he never cared for chicken before) and that is okay because I don't think it would hurt him. I have other senior food (dry) that I was giving to both of them before and it is no problem keeping her out of that food. She is also arthritic so keeping the other food up high is usually a good deterrent.

The big problem is with the 6 month old kitten who considers any food that is out to be fair game. I have caught him eating her food, especially the wet food, on a regular basis. He also seems to prefer the dry senior food to the kitten kibble (and oddly enough, my other senior seems to prefer the kitten kibble to the dry senior food).

So for anyone out there who has had multiple pets with special diets, do you have any suggestions for keeping the small one out of the old gray girl's special food? Or keeping the small one out of the dry senior diet food? Or am I just in a losing battle?

My sister has a cat who was just diagnosed with allergies and is also having an issue keeping the dog out of the cat's special allergy food, so any suggestions on that front would also be welcome.

Ding ding!

It's for you. . . .

Return to Top
#2111179 - 12/16/16 06:10 PM Re: multiple cats and special diets CloudShape
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Do you leave the dry food down all of the time?

Return to Top
#2111192 - 12/16/16 06:55 PM Re: multiple cats and special diets Skittles
CloudShape Offline
Platinum Poster
CloudShape
Edge of Sanity
I do. For a long time I only had the two older cats and just always left food out for them so they could eat whenever. Now I try to just leave out enough for the morning/evening. I have also tried to feed them in different areas, but the small one goes everywhere and will eat the food wherever he finds it.

I have another cat (about 6 or 7) that normally eats downstairs, but with the colder weather, I have been leaving some food for him upstairs as well and yes, the little one gets into that as well. . . .

Ding ding!

It's for you. . . .

Return to Top
#2111193 - 12/16/16 07:02 PM Re: multiple cats and special diets CloudShape
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
While I'm not a cat expert (although I do have one, Skittles, approaching 20 years old), I don't believe the food fro the older cat will harm the 6 month old; however it's probably not getting the nutrients it needs as a kitten. Can you distract the kitten while the older ones eat?

Return to Top
#2111220 - 12/16/16 08:12 PM Re: multiple cats and special diets Skittles
Peach Offline
100 Club
Peach
Out West
I agree that it probably wont hurt anyone actually. I had an older cat that needed special food and I just fed it to my youngster as well. The wet stuff I let him eat while I watched and then picked it up. I also had regular food out and they both ate both kinds. You do the best you can for all. My 20yr old only ate Purina Cat chow original blend until he passed. He refused all other food. So while it might help some in some cases its just food.

Return to Top
#2111241 - 12/16/16 08:46 PM Re: multiple cats and special diets Skittles
CloudShape Offline
Platinum Poster
CloudShape
Edge of Sanity
Everything distracts the small one! Everything is a toy and to be played with.

I mixed up some wet food for the old gray girl this morning while the small one was off somewhere and she ate some of it. I left it beside her in case she wanted some more later. About ten minutes later I noticed how quiet it was and went looking; sure enough the small one was working on what she hadn't eaten.

Silence is suspicious with the small one around. . . .

I guess my concern is more that the gray girl should only be eating her special food, so when the others get into it, especially the small one, that is less for her.

Ding ding!

It's for you. . . .

Return to Top
#2111243 - 12/16/16 08:51 PM Re: multiple cats and special diets Peach
CloudShape Offline
Platinum Poster
CloudShape
Edge of Sanity
Thank you. I have tried to watch while the gray girl eats, and pick up when she is done. I wish I could find a spot the small one couldn't get at for her food. Not sure what is going to happen when I leave for the holidays. I will probably have to have someone come in to feed the herd, but they won't be able to stay and make sure the gray girl gets her wet food. . . .

Ding ding!

It's for you. . . .

Return to Top
#2111245 - 12/16/16 08:56 PM Re: multiple cats and special diets CloudShape
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Cloud - my old lady doesn't eat much. I believe that is due to her age and her kidney failure. I just do the best I can, although there are no other animals trying to eat her food. More than anything she likes cat treats. She's on 4 medications and I just try to keep her comfortable.

Return to Top
#2111249 - 12/16/16 09:07 PM Re: multiple cats and special diets CloudShape
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Quote:
I wish I could find a spot the small one couldn't get at for her food.

Behind a closed door?

Return to Top
#2111260 - 12/16/16 09:51 PM Re: multiple cats and special diets CloudShape
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
had an older cat that needed special food and I just fed it to my youngster as well.

And what did child protective services have to say about that?

CAMS

Return to Top
#2111443 - 12/19/16 09:29 PM Re: multiple cats and special diets hmdagal
CloudShape Offline
Platinum Poster
CloudShape
Edge of Sanity
Yeah, when she first got back from the hospital she was in her own room with her own food, water, and litter box. After about 3 days of that, she was ready to get out and terrorize the household again. And the small one is getting big enough that confining him to a single room when I am not there is more like a punishment. Since my two seniors hang out in my room a lot (they don't like the 'intruders'), I have started feeding her in there. The small one still ventures in now and then, but he is beginning to understand what 'not your food!' means. Not that he pays attention at all.

Thanks all!

Ding ding!

It's for you. . . .

Return to Top
#2111800 - 12/21/16 11:21 PM Re: multiple cats and special diets edAudit
Peach Offline
100 Club
Peach
Out West
Originally Posted By edAudit
had an older cat that needed special food and I just fed it to my youngster as well.

And what did child protective services have to say about that?

You have to feed the youngster special food as well as the older cats food so all is fair no matter what the individual needs are.
(I have high hopes for a change in regime at CPS..)

Return to Top
#2112219 - 12/27/16 05:00 PM Re: multiple cats and special diets CloudShape
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Cats and dogs don't need food out for them all day long. We don't free feed our cats at all. They get fed morning and evening and that's it.
At present, I'm feeding four dogs, aged 8 mos to 13 yrs, and two cats all at the same time.
One cat and the senior dog have special food requirements.
I put all the food down and watch them eat, then pick up the bowls and that's it till the next meal.
It may take a bit to get your cats to recognize that they will only have meals, not food all the time, but I think you will find it works best for all, jmho. And then you know who is eating what and when.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett