Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#211140 - 07/14/04 09:29 PM Refinance by another creditor
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
We have an elderly couple that went to a mortgage broker to refinance a loan they have with our bank. The mortgage broker gave the couple a GFE after which they decided to keep their loan with us. Now, the mortgage broker is claiming they owe him $4,000 in fees (?). The only thing they every signed was the GFE and no funds were advanced. Does the mortgage broker have a leg to stand on? I would appreciate any thoughts as this is an elderly couple and it seems to me they are being taken advantage of. Thank you!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#211141 - 07/14/04 09:40 PM Re: Refinance by another creditor
DMG Offline
Midwest
Did the GFE disclose the $4,000 fee or did the couple receive/sign an Mortgage Broker Agreement which should disclose the fee and the services rendered to earn the fee? Also, it sounds like the couple did not enter into a new transaction, but rather declined to refinance. Is that true? If so, and if the Agreement (if any) stipulates that the fee (if disclosed) would be paid if a loan is placed with a lender, then IMO, no the broker does not have a case.

Return to Top
#211142 - 07/14/04 09:42 PM Re: Refinance by another creditor
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I agree. Plus if the broker is persistent, they could close the loan and then rescind. All fees paid then would be refundable.

Return to Top
#211143 - 07/14/04 11:21 PM Re: Refinance by another creditor
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Good idea fisher man. Hmmmm, I wonder if the DOJ would be interested in the way this company does business?

Return to Top
#211144 - 07/15/04 01:17 PM Re: Refinance by another creditor
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I haven't actually seen the GFE but I will talk to their loan officer. The couple says the only thing they have signed is the GFE. I would say, from what I know right now, that they just declined to refinance. The loan officer and I discussed this for quite some time yesterday because if this is indeed the way this guy does business we want him stopped. So, our next step is to try and figure out who/what to report him to. Thanks for your responses. Being relatively new to compliance the Mortgage Broker concept is a grey area for me.

Return to Top
#211145 - 07/15/04 02:34 PM Re: Refinance by another creditor
renniks Offline
Diamond Poster
renniks
New England
Who to report him to? That's easy. All mortgage brokers must be licensed by the state that they are doing business in. Report him to your State Attorney General's Office and the State Licensing Board.

Return to Top
#211146 - 07/15/04 05:33 PM Re: Refinance by another creditor
DMG Offline
Midwest
Renniks is right on the money. Also, signed a GFE does not obligate a person to anything.

Return to Top
#211147 - 07/15/04 06:05 PM Re: Refinance by another creditor
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Thanks everyone for the info! It sounds like upper management wants to take action on this (not today though, everybody is golfing ).

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z