Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2112206 - 12/27/16 04:42 PM Temporary Restraining Order
peony Offline
Gold Star
peony
We received an temporary restraining order from a lawyer that a judge signed off on one of our customers. One, we had to place an freeze on the customer's account. Two, we have to provide a summary of account activity in last 60 days.

Is it ok to send the last two months' bank statements plus check images to the lawyer?

Thanks!!

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#2112254 - 12/27/16 08:42 PM Re: Temporary Restraining Order peony
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Generally, a subpoena is used to request documents and information. I suggest checking with your bank's legal counsel to find out if this request has been made correctly, otherwise your customer could have a claim against you if you provide information pursuant to an invalid request.

Return to Top
#2112350 - 12/28/16 05:41 PM Re: Temporary Restraining Order peony
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Agreed, some of the terminology; e.g. "restraining order" and "summary" is "off;" you need to get your instructions from an attorney who has actually read the order.

Return to Top
#2113013 - 01/04/17 05:38 PM Re: Temporary Restraining Order peony
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
We receive similar requests to freeze funds but in my state they are called "summons to trustee'. We are to freeze the funds and notify the party of such action. We then await further direction from the courts. Have never been asked to provide account documents without a subpoena.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett