Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2113364 - 01/06/17 05:52 PM San Diego
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
My husband and I will be spending 5 days in mid to late February for our anniversary in San Diego. Our hotel is in the Oceanside area, although we are willing to venture out as well. Any recommendations for site-seeing, must-do's or restaurants?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2113365 - 01/06/17 05:58 PM Re: San Diego basilring
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
1624 Rosecrans St, San Diego

CAMS

Return to Top
#2113370 - 01/06/17 06:05 PM Re: San Diego basilring
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
basil, what do you like to do and eat? My coworker used to live in that area. She says the beaches are pretty cool.

Return to Top
#2113371 - 01/06/17 06:06 PM Re: San Diego basilring
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here

CAMS

Return to Top
#2113385 - 01/06/17 06:42 PM Re: San Diego basilring
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
You need to go to Coronado Island for the best beaches. Pacific Beach is also really nice. Cabrillo Nat'l Monument has some incredible views too. I LOVE San Diego!!

Return to Top
#2113393 - 01/06/17 08:09 PM Re: San Diego basilring
Chance Offline
Chance
Where it never rains!
Basilring - I live in the San Diego area and would be happy to help with any questions you have. Oceanside is a good drive from San Diego proper (about 40 miles) and most of the primary places to visit are more centrally located in the city of San Diego. Additionally, traffic between the two areas is not a fun experience. As others mentioned, the San Diego Zoo and its sister property Safari Park are world renowned and are a "must do" if you are an animal lover. There is also Sea World (which is somewhat controversial these days, but still a great place), Balboa Park, Coronado Island, where the famous Hotel Del Coronado is located, La Jolla and truly gorgeous beaches everywhere! There are wonderful restaurants all over the area, but the "hot spot" these days is the Gas Lamp district in downtown San Diego, where there are endless bars and restaurants of every variety, in a revitalized area of the city. As you finalize your plans, I can give your more specifics.

Return to Top
#2113395 - 01/06/17 08:13 PM Re: San Diego basilring
BookWormGirl Offline
Upper Midwest
I was in San Diego for a conference in 2015 and got to stay in the Gas Lamp district; it was amazing! I defer to Chance's much more knowledgeable suggestions, but one restaurant that stood out to me was Rei do Gado which was just a short walk from my hotel. It's a Brazilian steakhouse, and I recall the food being delicious!

Return to Top
#2113399 - 01/06/17 08:21 PM Re: San Diego CompliantOkie
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted By CompliantOkie
You need to go to Coronado Island for the best beaches. Pacific Beach is also really nice. Cabrillo Nat'l Monument has some incredible views too. I LOVE San Diego!!
What she said. Definitely have dinner at the Coronado. Also, LaJolla is nice, there is a cave with otters in this tiny park. Right up the PCH from SD.

Return to Top
#2113402 - 01/06/17 08:39 PM Re: San Diego basilring
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
Thank you for all the comments so far. We knew we were outside of San Diego, but it was cheaper and we are almost right across from the Oceanside peer. The hotel offers some sort of free shuttle or something to San Diego, if we decide to go down there. We are pretty laid back, so if there is enough to do where we are, it won't be too big a deal. I can't believe I didn't think about the zoo. I think we may have to put that on the list, although it will be hard to go without the grandkids!

As far as food, we are up for most things. I know my husband will want to have seafood for at least one meal (I myself am allergic to shellfish, but usually can find something else on the menu).

Keep the suggestions coming!

Return to Top
#2113474 - 01/09/17 02:20 PM Re: San Diego basilring
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
When we were there this past year for ABA, one of the restaurants we ate at in the Gaslamp was particularly memorable - de'Medici. It has an old-world charm and delicious Italian food. The kind of place where I wouldn't have been surprised to see Tony Soprano and a couple of his lieutenants dining at a nearby table. It was very good.

Return to Top
#2113479 - 01/09/17 02:42 PM Re: San Diego basilring
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
I can't believe you didn't think about the zoo either!!!

PANDAS!

Hellooooo!!!!!!

Return to Top
#2113497 - 01/09/17 04:47 PM Re: San Diego basilring
basilring Offline
Gold Star
Spartan Country!
How could I not think of the pandas! ;-)

Return to Top
#2113498 - 01/09/17 05:01 PM Re: San Diego basilring
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
I too was in San Diego last June for the ABA conference and loved the area. My favorite was Coronado, just loved the atmosphere. The Gaslamp district was fun to walk around and of course the zoo. Just make sure you bring a jacket, it was chilly when I was there.

Return to Top
#2113511 - 01/09/17 06:02 PM Re: San Diego BBoyd
'Lil Freak! Offline
10K Club
'Lil Freak!
The psych ward
Originally Posted By BBoyd
I can't believe you didn't think about the zoo either!!!

PANDAS!

Hellooooo!!!!!!

I was at that zoo a few years ago. There was a panda-cam because one had just given birth. I'm scarred from the koala bear incident...it growled at me and bared its teeth.

Return to Top
#2113512 - 01/09/17 06:22 PM Re: San Diego basilring
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
The youngest panda there is now 5, and the parents are too old for breeding. The papa bear (Gao Gao) is typically behind the scenes due to his health, but the mother (Bai Yun) and son (Xiao Liwu) are on exhibit and would love to meet you.

Return to Top
#2113532 - 01/09/17 07:27 PM Re: San Diego BBoyd
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By BBoyd
but the mother (Bai Yun) and son (Xiao Liwu) are on exhibit and would love to eat you

no thanks

Return to Top
#2113996 - 01/12/17 03:43 PM Re: San Diego basilring
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Don't buy tickets for an NFL game, unless you want to see the Chargers in the city of the angels.

Return to Top