Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2113519 - 01/09/17 06:44 PM Late Payment Fee
peony Offline
Gold Star
peony
Reviewed a Closing Disclosure and sent it back due to incorrect late payment fee listed. Processor contacted the vendor to correct it but they said because the property is in another state, it has to be whatever it is in that state. I thought late payment fee is based on where you are making payments to, not where your secured property is located. Can someone confirm?

Thanks!!

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2113529 - 01/09/17 07:19 PM Re: Late Payment Fee peony
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
It's often the fact that late charges on real estate-secured loans are limited by the laws of the state where the property is located. Your vendor is correct.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2113535 - 01/09/17 07:29 PM Re: Late Payment Fee peony
peony Offline
Gold Star
peony
Thanks!

We usually charge 4%. This particular situation has the property located in VA (we are located in NC) and per VA's state laws:

B. Any lender or seller may impose a late charge for failure to make timely payment of any installment due on a debt, whether installment or single maturity, provided that such late charge does not exceed five percent of the amount of such installment payment and that the charge is specified in the contract between the lender or seller and the debtor.

I'm thinking the vendor shouldn't have any problems changing to 4% since it does not exceed 5%....

Return to Top
#2113536 - 01/09/17 07:30 PM Re: Late Payment Fee peony
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I agree. Your state real estate laws and allowable charges would only apply to real estate located in your state. You can not export those laws and charges to real estate located in another state.

Return to Top
#2113538 - 01/09/17 07:33 PM Re: Late Payment Fee peony
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
You can always charge less or not charge at all. You should be able to go into your loan set-up screens and adjust the late charge.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z