Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2113113 - 01/05/17 02:38 PM Winter Storm Helena
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Hope everyone stays warm and safe this week and weekend. I'm seen predictions of 6-7 inches of snow for Atlanta (non-professional weatherman) and 1-3 Inches from the professional folks. We'll see who's right! Whichever is correct - this chick's staying off the roads this weekend - away from the crazy people!

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2113116 - 01/05/17 02:50 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena waldensouth
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
I really dislike seeing the non-professional meteorologists all over social media whipping up panic. I feel like their predictions are always overestimated just to increase "likes." I trust the professional folks.

They're calling for 1-2" here. No word yet on whether it will be blowing and drifting or the heavy wet stuff.

Return to Top
#2113117 - 01/05/17 03:01 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena waldensouth
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
here is my go to site for weather...and their thoughts for this weekend

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-ne...eekend/70000470

Return to Top
#2113119 - 01/05/17 03:02 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena waldensouth
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I watch the Tallahassee, FL local news in the mornings (they cover our area better than the other options), and their weather guy this morning was ruthless about squashing peoples' hopes for snow in the forecast. He actually said, "Stop saying the 's' word, folks! It ain't happening here."

Return to Top
#2113131 - 01/05/17 03:37 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena waldensouth
peony Offline
Gold Star
peony
all of the professional meteorologists in my area (NC) are saying 'we will get snow but we don't know when and how much.' i am going to prepare as if we are going to get 8 to 12 inches of snow just in case.

Return to Top
#2113138 - 01/05/17 03:45 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena waldensouth
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I would guess

when between now and the next 12 years

how much between 1/2 inch and 25 feet.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2113148 - 01/05/17 04:08 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena waldensouth
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
We had about 10" yesterday with snow drifts as high as 6' in some places. We had to close several branches early. Low tonight will be -17 with a windchill below -30.
Last edited by TMatt87; 01/05/17 04:09 PM.

Return to Top
#2113151 - 01/05/17 04:11 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena waldensouth
bonette Offline
100 Club
georgia
Get your bread and milk before tomorrow night! smile

Return to Top
#2113156 - 01/05/17 04:25 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena waldensouth
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
We were supposed to get 1 to 3 last night and ended up with less than an inch. Now we just have to deal with below freezing temps until Monday.

Return to Top
#2113174 - 01/05/17 06:17 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena waldensouth
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Maybe I am just out of the loop here but I don't recall winter weather being given names before. Must be a really slow news cycle. We have received 8 or so inches and are currently -17 degrees but it's no big deal here. Maybe the rest of the country needs to suck it up...

Return to Top
#2113176 - 01/05/17 06:29 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena waldensouth
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
It's a Weather Channel thing. They started doing it in a few years ago... for easy reference... media hype... ratings... who knows. wink The US government only refers to winter storms by date.

It's been nice and fresh in my neck of the woods too... -20 on my way in this morning (pre wind chill). But it is so crisp and clear -- and the icy cold air in your nostrils and lungs reminds you you're alive! smile I like walking on squeaky snow too, and it only gets that way sub-zero.
Last edited by RebekahL CRCM; 01/05/17 06:31 PM.

Return to Top
#2113178 - 01/05/17 06:38 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena RockChucker, CAMS
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By RockChucker
Maybe I am just out of the loop here but I don't recall winter weather being given names before. Must be a really slow news cycle. We have received 8 or so inches and are currently -17 degrees but it's no big deal here. Maybe the rest of the country needs to suck it up...

I'll remind you of this when you're complaining about it being "near 90" or something mild this summer. grin

Return to Top
#2113179 - 01/05/17 06:40 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena waldensouth
BookWormGirl Offline
Upper Midwest
I'm with you Rebekah on the media hype/ratings thing. Winter storms break down and redevelop so often that it's easy for them to name the same storm more than once. Give me dates, forecasts, and a road report and I'm set. smile

We're sitting at about 20 inches since Christmas Day and a current cold snap that has our temps at -10 or so, and our windchills anywhere from -14 to -25 degrees. Par for the course up here for sure! grin

Return to Top
#2113180 - 01/05/17 06:45 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena RebekahL CRCM
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By RebekahL CRCM
It's a Weather Channel thing. They started doing it in a few years ago... for easy reference... media hype... ratings... who knows. wink The US government only refers to winter storms by date.

It's been nice and fresh in my neck of the woods too... -20 on my way in this morning (pre wind chill). But it is so crisp and clear -- and the icy cold air in your nostrils and lungs reminds you you're alive! smile I like walking on squeaky snow too, and it only gets that way sub-zero.

I'm sorry, but -20 is not 'nice and fresh.' It's colder than our chest freezer.

Return to Top
#2113181 - 01/05/17 06:46 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena E.E.G.B
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Originally Posted By E.E.G.B
Originally Posted By RockChucker

I'll remind you of this when you're complaining about it being "near 90" or something mild this summer. grin

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy summer weather as much as the next person, (I lived in Mesa AZ for 5 summers) but I can always deal better with the cold than I can with the heat..... there is only so much clothes you can take off and not get arrested. wink

Return to Top
#2113184 - 01/05/17 07:05 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena waldensouth
MyBrainHurts Offline
Platinum Poster
Illinois
Four weeks from today I'll be in Puerto Vallarta where it is currently 81 and sunny.

Return to Top
#2113197 - 01/05/17 07:51 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena RR Becca
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By RR Becca
I'm sorry, but -20 is not 'nice and fresh.' It's colder than our chest freezer.

Ha! Yes, I must admit it was eye opening for me when I took something out to the freezer in the garage and the air inside felt warm in comparison.

I don't care for long term cold, but I can manage these short snaps and even briefly revel in them. It is always fun to toss boiling water in the air and create instant snow!

On a very tragic note, however, an 88 year old woman suffering from Alzheimers died a couple of days ago outside of her home. frown That breaks my heart.

Return to Top
#2113564 - 01/09/17 08:59 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena waldensouth
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
All of this explains why my local auto parts store sells coolant while others sell antifreeze. wink

Return to Top
#2113566 - 01/09/17 09:05 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena waldensouth
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I was under the impression from the new reports that all of California was under a polar vortex, Atmospheric river from Hawaii, global climate changy thing.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2113567 - 01/09/17 09:07 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena RR Becca
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Originally Posted By RR Becca
I watch the Tallahassee, FL local news in the mornings (they cover our area better than the other options), and their weather guy this morning was ruthless about squashing peoples' hopes for snow in the forecast. He actually said, "Stop saying the 's' word, folks! It ain't happening here."

Gotta love Rob smile

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#2113569 - 01/09/17 09:14 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena waldensouth
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Walden - I mean to ask you - which weatherman won - the professional or the non-professional?

Here just south of Nashville it was really nasty Friday morning. Took me an hour and 40 minutes to get to work and it's normally just under an hour (I live about 50 miles from work). There were lots of accidents and people off of the road. They ended up closing the bank at 1:00 on Friday.

Return to Top
#2113576 - 01/09/17 09:36 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena waldensouth
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
neither. Snowtastrphe 2017 did not happen

CAMS

Return to Top
#2113584 - 01/09/17 10:21 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena waldensouth
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Professionals won here. We got a couple inches during the day Friday. Made the commute a total disaster. Took me nearly an hour to go the 30 miles that normally takes me 35 minutes. Roads were a solid sheet of ice thanks to our serious lack of snow plows and sand/salt. But everything melted yesterday.

However I've got my eye on a storm rolling through this coming weekend. Looks like it could be ice which I'm really dreading.

Return to Top
#2113615 - 01/10/17 02:18 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena waldensouth
peony Offline
Gold Star
peony
where i'm at (southeast of Raleigh), everyone was wrong. we got nothing but sleet/ice. they were estimating that we would get between 2 to 6 inches of snow.
Last edited by peony; 01/10/17 02:18 PM.
Return to Top
#2113618 - 01/10/17 02:28 PM Re: Winter Storm Helena waldensouth
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
It is kind of funny to watch the national news and they are so dramatic." 20 million people is harms way" Here in CNY when they show the Tug Hill Plateau which is about an hour northwest of me and people are just going about their business shoveling 2 feet of snow I just laugh!! For us here it's just another winter, but I do understand for those not used to it what a mess it can be.
Hang tight, spring will be here soon!!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2