Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2113499 - 01/09/17 05:19 PM Crowd Funding - What Are Our Risks?
Wildcat Rampage Offline
Kentucky - Home of the 8 time ...
I know nothing about the mechanics of crowd funding, I just know how it works in general. I have a thought that it could be used to launder money if someone was really, really interested in laundering money and had the tools at their disposal.

Am I being too paranoid, or is this a legitimate concern? I can see someone sending their minions out to get small travel cards, make pledges to a crowd fund site with fake names, and eventually funnel the cash to a carrier. But, I don't know the mechanics well enough to know how plausible this scenario is.

Any help is appreciated.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2113503 - 01/09/17 05:45 PM Re: Crowd Funding - What Are Our Risks? Wildcat Rampage
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
As with most products there is some risk it can be abused or used for money laundering etc..

I don't see, given the information you have provided, how you would even be able to detect the laundering of funds.

Return to Top
#2113909 - 01/11/17 08:13 PM Re: Crowd Funding - What Are Our Risks? Wildcat Rampage
Wildcat Rampage Offline
Kentucky - Home of the 8 time ...
Thanks, that's the thing - I'm trying to determine if I should be suspicious of funds disbursed from crowd funding sites and perform some level of due diligence on that if I see them coming in to an account.

Return to Top
#2114033 - 01/12/17 05:16 PM Re: Crowd Funding - What Are Our Risks? Wildcat Rampage
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Since the crowd funding business is your customer I would do additional due diligence to ensure it is a legitimate business and or is involved in the kind of business that your bank is comfortable with.

If you really want to do some extra work (I probably wouldn't) you could go to the website and donate an odd dollar amount and see if it shows up in the customers account.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z