Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#2113844 - 01/11/17 04:42 PM Re: New Car Skittles
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I had a first model year Compass for a number of years. Wasn't my favorite car in terms of style or comfort (it was a compromise purchase, long story), but with the wide wheel base, it has been one of the best cars I have driven on the snow and ice. Wasn't sexy, but it was reliable.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#2113874 - 01/11/17 06:01 PM Re: New Car Skittles
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
One thing I learned this year after buying a new car that trade rags and people I knew praised for winter performance in snow and such, is that if you do not get the same options as them then it means nothing. I, of course, opted for the cool larger mag rims and those come with lower profile "summer" tires. I found this out after almost getting killed in a light dusting of snow. The traction control is useless till I get winter or all season tires to replace the ones that came with the car.
It was so bad my uncle that has a Mazda Miata sports coup with his Billacz winter tires can run circles around me as I sit spinning my tires. (Mind you that is only dry snow or ice, wet snow I have no problems with.)

Return to Top
#2113895 - 01/11/17 07:09 PM Re: New Car Skittles
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
I'm glad your weren't having any issues with wet ice Wolfy wink

Return to Top
#2113921 - 01/11/17 08:57 PM Re: New Car Skittles
MBrownie Offline
MBrownie
Since you were speaking of SUV's, I'll add my experience. I currently own a Ford Edge and LOVE it. It's a crossover but I consider it a small SUV. Mine is all wheel drive, so gas mileage isn't probably what you're looking for (average 21) but the front wheel drive models get better than that. I've owned mine for almost 7 years now and have over 100K miles on it. And when it's time to trade, I'm planning to buy another one! They seem to be very popular where I live (Midwest) and get around great in the snow. I really like the look of the Jeep Grand Cherokee, but they are quite a bit more expensive and I've been so happy with the Edge that I'm planning to stick with it.

Prior to this, I had a Chevy Equinox. I liked it too, comparable in gas mileage. Interior not as comfortable or as spacious as the Edge. Seats were not as comfortable either.

Return to Top
#2113923 - 01/11/17 08:59 PM Re: New Car Wolfy
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
Originally Posted By Wolfy
One thing I learned this year after buying a new car that trade rags and people I knew praised for winter performance in snow and such, is that if you do not get the same options as them then it means nothing. I, of course, opted for the cool larger mag rims and those come with lower profile "summer" tires. I found this out after almost getting killed in a light dusting of snow. The traction control is useless till I get winter or all season tires to replace the ones that came with the car.
It was so bad my uncle that has a Mazda Miata sports coup with his Billacz winter tires can run circles around me as I sit spinning my tires. (Mind you that is only dry snow or ice, wet snow I have no problems with.)

I take traction control off when I get into deep snow or mud. It takes power away from the tires to keep them from spinning, which isn't always good

Return to Top
#2113924 - 01/11/17 09:00 PM Re: New Car Skittles
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
I have an Edge now too. I am trading it in for something bigger unfortunately. The kids are getting so big and they have so much stuff that I need more room. With that being said, I love my Edge. It is really comfy and it handles great on the snow and ice. I'll certainly miss it. But I'm looking forward to my new Explorer.

Return to Top
#2113965 - 01/12/17 01:47 PM Re: New Car Skittles
MBrownie Offline
MBrownie
CompliantOkie, I hope you like your new Explorer! I like the looks of them also. I don't necessarily need 3rd row seating (no kids) but sometimes more space would be nice since I often have 2 Labs in the car.

Return to Top
#2113977 - 01/12/17 02:47 PM Re: New Car Skittles
#12 Offline
Diamond Poster
Love my Explorer. I only have 2 kids, so the 3rd row is generally flipped down, so we have more storage room. That being said, this weekend, I will have 6 people in the vehicle, and we will still have plenty of room for bags in the storage area.

Return to Top
#2114011 - 01/12/17 04:19 PM Re: New Car Skittles
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
If looking at small SUVs like the Renegade, I would recommend doing research on Toyota Rav 4, Nissan Rogue, Honda CR-V. If you're looking at the Renegade I would assume you are not looking at off-road driving so any of the three with all wheel drive would be comparable. I believe that Toyota, Nissan, and Honda will likely be much more reliable and hold their value much better than the Renegade.

Return to Top
#2114014 - 01/12/17 04:22 PM Re: New Car Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My sister drives a Rav 4 and is very pleased with it.

Return to Top
#2114049 - 01/12/17 06:01 PM Re: New Car Skittles
TMatt87 Offline
Diamond Poster
TMatt87
Idaho
I think I've limited my search to the following:

Hyundai Tuscon
Toyota RAV 4
Mazda CX-5

or I'll get the new Dodge Challenger that has AWD.

I know the CRV gets the best reviews, but I think the latest design is ugly.

Return to Top
#2114053 - 01/12/17 06:10 PM Re: New Car Skittles
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
My wife drives a 2016 Rav 4 and loves it. It does really well in the snow so far.

Return to Top
#2114061 - 01/12/17 06:33 PM Re: New Car Skittles
Soccer Offline
Diamond Poster
Utopia
My daughter has a 2016 CX-5 and it is a really nice vehicle. We live in upstate NY and it does very well in the winter weather. I currently own a 2008 Lexus RX350 with 135,000 miles on it and I absolutely love it. It was the best money I ever spent and the thought that I will have to replace it sooner than later makes me sad. If I don't buy another RX I will seriously considering the CX-5

Return to Top
#2114080 - 01/12/17 07:44 PM Re: New Car RockChucker, CAMS
Wolfy Offline
Wolfy
Mid West
Originally Posted By RockChucker
I'm glad your weren't having any issues with wet ice Wolfy wink

When you live in the north you learn about all the different kinds of ice and snow. That or you wrap around the next tree pretty quick.

Return to Top
#2114218 - 01/13/17 05:32 PM Re: New Car TMatt87
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
I love cars and get "new car fever" about every six months. (I haven't succumbed for 5 years.)

On two separate occasions I knew what I wanted (Chrysler 300 and a Lincoln) and rented one for a weekend where I had to do some serious driving. With both, I was perfectly happy to drop off the keys on Sunday night.

A 15 minute "test drive" around town tells you nothing. Cars are much cheaper to rent on weekends. Figure out what you are interested in and see who includes them in their fleet; e.g. Enterprise rents Jeep Patriots.

Return to Top
#2114231 - 01/13/17 06:16 PM Re: New Car Skittles
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
That's a really good idea Ken. I tend to get new car fever fairly often too. I know I shouldn't but new cars are just so shiny and pretty. I tell my husband that at least I don't get new house fever!

Return to Top
#2114233 - 01/13/17 06:34 PM Re: New Car Skittles
Peepers Offline
10K Club
new child fever can be tricky

Return to Top
#2114261 - 01/13/17 07:27 PM Re: New Car Skittles
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Ken's idea is definitely a good one. I liked the Hemi Dodge Chargers quite a few years ago and after renting one for a weekend, realized how horrible they were inside that even with the Hemi engine (only rented the 6 cyl though as there were no Hemi's available), I'd still have to live with the rest of the terribleness of the car. Same deal with a newer Mustang (before the 2015 redesign). Rented a convertible and couldn't wait to get it back to the lot.

A hundred and fifty bucks might save you from a several thousand dollar mistake.

Return to Top
#2114265 - 01/13/17 07:31 PM Re: New Car Skittles
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
I even with the Spartan interior I would still take a 70-71 hemi charger.

CAMS

Return to Top
#2114267 - 01/13/17 07:51 PM Re: New Car Skittles
Docs Offline
100 Club
I prefer the basic 1968 hemi Road Runner with vinyl on the floor instead of carpet. None of those fancy options to go wrong. And easy to hose out the car after a particularly "enthusiastic" Saturday night... Beep Beep

Return to Top
#2114268 - 01/13/17 07:55 PM Re: New Car Peepers
CompliantOkie Offline
Gold Star
CompliantOkie
OOOOOOklahoma
Originally Posted By Peepers
new child fever can be tricky

My youngest child blessed me with immunity to new child fever. Never again!!! That kid was, is and will be a hand full!

Return to Top
#2114380 - 01/17/17 06:05 PM Re: New Car Skittles
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I have had a CRV for almost 5 years and love it. It is very reliable, great mileage and great in the winter. I am looking for something bigger and am considering an Acadia, Highlander, Pathfinder and Pilot.

Return to Top
#2114401 - 01/17/17 06:40 PM Re: New Car Skittles
Peepers Offline
10K Club
those are all soccer mom cars

Return to Top
#2114414 - 01/17/17 07:05 PM Re: New Car Skittles
Rocky P Online
Power Poster
Florida
They come in all wheel drive too! Great for snow.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/cayenne/

Return to Top
#2114416 - 01/17/17 07:11 PM Re: New Car Skittles
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I just put in an order on a Turbo S model

now I just hope I'm holding the winning numbers for the lottery....

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3