Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#2114998 - 01/20/17 06:42 PM Re: Construction-only loan to Builder reportable? solbrillante
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I'm gonna beat the horse just a little bit more. wink

And if these aren't hitting our CALL report as construction?

Return to Top
HMDA

HMDA Academy
#2115005 - 01/20/17 07:10 PM Re: Construction-only loan to Builder reportable? RR Becca
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
How are they categorized? shocked
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#2115012 - 01/20/17 07:27 PM Re: Construction-only loan to Builder reportable? solbrillante
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
The two in front of me got moved to 1c2a with the first replacement note.

Return to Top
#2115050 - 01/20/17 09:30 PM Re: Construction-only loan to Builder reportable? solbrillante
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
I would sit down with lending and finance and come up with a strategy and consistent approach to ensure accurate info on the Call Report and proper HMDA reporting.

Here is what the Call Report has to say:

All construction loans secured by real estate, other than combination construction-permanent
loans as described above, should continue to be reported in this item after construction is
completed unless and until (1) the loan is refinanced into a new permanent loan by the
reporting bank or is otherwise repaid, (2) the bank acquires or otherwise obtains physical
possession of the underlying collateral in full satisfaction of the debt, or (3) the loan is charged
off. For purposes of these reports, a construction loan is deemed to be refinanced into a new
permanent loan only if the bank originates:
• An amortizing permanent loan to a new borrower (unrelated to the original borrower) who
has purchased the real property, or
• A prudently underwritten new amortizing permanent loan at market terms to the original
borrower – including an appropriate interest rate, maturity, and loan-to-value ratio – that is
no longer dependent on the sale of the property for repayment. The loan should have a
clearly identified ongoing source of repayment sufficient to service the required principal
and interest payments over a reasonable and customary period relative to the type of
property securing the new loan. A new loan to the original borrower not meeting these
criteria (including a new loan on interest-only terms or a new loan with a short-term
balloon maturity that is inconsistent with the ongoing source of repayment criterion)
should continue to be reported as a “Construction, land development, and other land loan”
in the appropriate subitem of Schedule RC-C, part I, item 1.a
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#2121461 - 03/10/17 04:17 PM Re: Construction-only loan to Builder reportable? solbrillante
dottiec Offline
Gold Star
Good information in this thread, but.....

I have a construction only loan to a builder and I have to report it. Is it considered a purchase or a home improvement?

Return to Top
#2121492 - 03/10/17 05:29 PM Re: Construction-only loan to Builder reportable? solbrillante
Banker K, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
So...echoing the question above "what is the purpose" for HMDA?

My train of thought: if the builder already owns the land that the house will be built upon, no purchase is taking place. I don't think it's HMDA reportable because the proceeds are not being use to purchase.

If the builder does not already own the land, AND is using the loan proceeds to purchase the land AND construct the home, with no plans for the builder to obtain a perm financing loan, then it is HMDA reportable as a purchase.

Thoughts on this?

All comments are mine & should not be taken as legal advice.

Return to Top
#2121499 - 03/10/17 05:50 PM Re: Construction-only loan to Builder reportable? solbrillante
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
It would not be home improvement because no "home" exists on the grounds to be improved and improvement to grounds without a dwelling located on it would not meet the definition of home improvement.

The person constructing the dwelling is purchasing the materials to construct the dwelling therefore they are purchasing it one piece at a time.

Return to Top
#2121508 - 03/10/17 06:07 PM Re: Construction-only loan to Builder reportable? solbrillante
dottiec Offline
Gold Star
Thanks Dan- that makes sense to me.

Return to Top
#2121547 - 03/10/17 07:36 PM Re: Construction-only loan to Builder reportable? solbrillante
Banker K, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Oklahoma
Yes, thank you Dan.

All comments are mine & should not be taken as legal advice.

Return to Top
#2121967 - 03/14/17 08:53 PM Re: Construction-only loan to Builder reportable? solbrillante
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
**ugh**
Two immediate fixes needed to the Commentary:
1. Refinancing one business purpose loan with another business purpose loan should be an excluded transaction. Most common example is an SBA loan being refinanced from another lender where there is a junior lien on the principal's home.

2. Initial construction of a dwelling should be an excluded transaction regardless of the source of repayment.

Return to Top
#2122135 - 03/15/17 07:24 PM Re: Construction-only loan to Builder reportable? solbrillante
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I agree to both statements Princess. Doubt we will see the 1st happen. The 2nd is possible but don't hold your breath (from my discussions with the CFPB).

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2