Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2114364 - 01/17/17 04:53 PM Photocopies of photo ID
AZloan Offline
Gold Star
Can we keep photocopies of borrowers' ID in loan file? We have a part note that we don't know the borrowers at all and would like to keep their IDs. Somewhere, I heard that we are not suppose to photocopy photo IDs. I have their passports and driver licenses copies.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2114369 - 01/17/17 05:10 PM Re: Photocopies of photo ID AZloan
M Cockrell Offline
Diamond Poster
M Cockrell
Dallas, TX
To my knowledge, unless state statutes prohibit it, there isn't a law which would preclude you from keeping in the loan file.

That having been said, it may not be the most prudent place to maintain the ID(s). Could I suggest CIF level?

Return to Top
#2114393 - 01/17/17 06:29 PM Re: Photocopies of photo ID AZloan
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Check your state law for photocopying IDs. The state of IN has a prohibition from "duplicating" driver licensees. If you image or copy the DL in color then you must have a watermark across it stating that it is a copy.

Return to Top
#2114398 - 01/17/17 06:38 PM Re: Photocopies of photo ID AZloan
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
There is no federal prohibition. Some examiners however say that if there is a license in file, they will ensure that it was not used on a prohibited basis.

At banks I have been at the information used to identify a person was kept in a CIP file rather than in a loan file. It is the easiest way.

Return to Top
#2114405 - 01/17/17 06:50 PM Re: Photocopies of photo ID AZloan
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
We have ours imaged to the CIF level but available to the loan side. Oklahoma adopted Alternative A of Article 9, which requires recordation of UCC to be under the exact name on an unexpired drivers license.

Return to Top
#2114425 - 01/17/17 07:25 PM Re: Photocopies of photo ID AZloan
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I'm not going to address the legality of photocopying ID's. We've beat this drum before (you can search for previous discussions), but let me add:

The idea that copies of DL's is a fair lending issue is so crazy to me. If that is even remotely true, then banks should require all applicants to wear paper sacks over their heads when they apply for a loan. They should also disguise their voice and let no exposed skin be seen - or else I might know their ethnicity, race and sex.

The FFIEC states in the BSA Exam Manual that it's okay to have copies of DL's. It's in a footnote around #49 or so. I don't have it in front of me. If an examiner doesn't like you keeping photo's of DL's (and it's permissible by your state law), ask the examiner why the FFIEC would state this?
(stepping off my soapbox now)

Return to Top
#2114521 - 01/18/17 02:35 PM Re: Photocopies of photo ID David Dickinson
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Quote:
The idea that copies of DL's is a fair lending issue is so crazy to me. If that is even remotely true, then banks should require all applicants to wear paper sacks over their heads when they apply for a loan. They should also disguise their voice and let no exposed skin be seen - or else I might know their ethnicity, race and sex.

My mind's eye visual of this is killing me......thanks for the laugh.

Return to Top
#2114547 - 01/18/17 03:34 PM Re: Photocopies of photo ID AZloan
AZloan Offline
Gold Star
Thank you all very much!

Return to Top
#2117167 - 02/06/17 08:03 PM Re: Photocopies of photo ID AZloan
Noah Wiseman Offline
New Poster
Dan - Would you happen to have the state code reference for Indiana that prohibits the duplicating of their drivers licenses?

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z