Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2114464 - 01/17/17 09:59 PM Overdraft Fees with no ODP
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
If a bank doesn't have an ODP product is their a requirement to notify customers of excessive fees? We do have an overdraft LOC that consumers may apply for and also offer another deposit product tied to the DDA account to pull funds in as needed.

Thanks!

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2114608 - 01/18/17 07:24 PM Re: Overdraft Fees with no ODP Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Bump - any advice (with the exception of using an incorrect 'their' instead of 'there' - very embarrassing)?

Return to Top
#2114621 - 01/18/17 08:13 PM Re: Overdraft Fees with no ODP Skittles
Doug Hendrickson Offline
Power Poster
Doug Hendrickson
I'd have to go through all the guidance again, but I don't think there is a requirement per se to notify them of 'excessive fees'.

Most of the guidance, if I remember, advocates limiting the number of per-item NSF/OD fees per day and the number of days you charge a continuous fee.

Return to Top
#2114629 - 01/18/17 08:26 PM Re: Overdraft Fees with no ODP Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Thank you and that's what I'm working with. Our statements do tally the NSF/OD fees.

Return to Top
#2114630 - 01/18/17 08:26 PM Re: Overdraft Fees with no ODP Skittles
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
The 2010 FDIC Guidance references the requirement to provide a counseling notice for those frequent flyers (which the guidance described as having six or more paid overdraft fees in a rolling 12 month period) for whom we pay overdrafts. (The Fed and OCC have not published similar guidance or signed off on this document.) If you do not have a formal program and return items that create overdrafts, exceed the LOC available credit or there is no money in the account to transfer, then there is no need to provide this notice.

This Guidance only applies to the paying of overdrafts as the FDIC is concerned about the industry "encouraging" poor financial decisions. Returning checks and charging a return fee does not encourage overdrafts so the notice would not be required for these.

Return to Top
#2114805 - 01/19/17 09:45 PM Re: Overdraft Fees with no ODP Skittles
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
The only other caveat I would toss in here is the one about being careful about excessive transfers from a savings or MMDA to cover overdrafts. If those transfers are done in person, there's no problem. But if they're done automatically, they count toward the Reg D 6/month limit.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett