Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2116133 - 01/30/17 08:30 PM SAR - Kiting
TLS99 Offline
There is a student who has a sole owner checking account. The mother and father of the child deposit checks from their account at another institution into the child's account. As soon as the checks would be deposited, a check made payable to the parents would come through. It is clear they are kiting. The mother and father do not have accounts with us. I am going through the SAR and was just wondering what to list as the relationship for the parents. Would they be considered a customer? Or should I choose "Other" and put in the description, non customer? I never ran into this situation before and I am just looking for some guidance.

Thanks

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2116136 - 01/30/17 08:45 PM Re: SAR - Kiting TLS99
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
The box "No relationship with the institution" is sufficiently descriptive so there is no need to use "Other."

Return to Top
#2116254 - 01/31/17 05:31 PM Re: SAR - Kiting TLS99
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Also recommend closing the account

Return to Top
#2116255 - 01/31/17 05:32 PM Re: SAR - Kiting TLS99
TLS99 Offline
Thank you! Yes, the account will be closed.
Thank you for your help.

Return to Top
#2116650 - 02/02/17 12:02 PM Re: SAR - Kiting TLS99
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Although the legacy SAR listed "kiting" as a reason for filing a SAR, FinCEN left the option off the current version. Yet, even though they removed the entire category, today they get a little prissy saying that if a bank lists "kiting"under "other," it must identify the type of kiting; e.g. "check kiting."

They appear to be firmly convinced that there is more than one kind of kiting even though most bankers couldn't name another variety on a bet.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z