Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2116719 - 02/02/17 04:48 PM Do we need Telephone Banking anymore?
almbanker Offline
For years we have offered a toll-free number for customers to call to get account balances, transfer money, etc. It seems we have very few customers that even use this service anymore with online banking and mobile banking. Have any other banks considered doing away with this service or is there any compliance type reason we would want to keep it? We are a small bank and the cost of the service from our provider seems high for the amount of use from our customers.

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#2116734 - 02/02/17 05:23 PM Re: Do we need Telephone Banking anymore? almbanker
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
We have not because surprisingly, even with all the other e-channels available today, our phone banking still has fairly high monthly usage. Plus, eliminating it would negatively impact those without access to a computer (i.e., elderly, etc).

Return to Top
#2116738 - 02/02/17 05:33 PM Re: Do we need Telephone Banking anymore? almbanker
New Day Offline
100 Club
We still have it and include it in our disaster recovery plan.

Return to Top
#2116743 - 02/02/17 05:37 PM Re: Do we need Telephone Banking anymore? almbanker
osucpa Offline
Diamond Poster
Agree with comments above plus you need to look at your customer base and geographic location of them. Smaller rural banks still use them.

Return to Top
#2116807 - 02/02/17 07:32 PM Re: Do we need Telephone Banking anymore? almbanker
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
You should be able to generate reports that tell you how many calls the system gets. Once you know that you can use a cost/benefit analysis to decide if you keep it or not. We ended up keeping ours after reviewing the reports. We had way more calls then we had predicted

Return to Top
#2116823 - 02/02/17 08:52 PM Re: Do we need Telephone Banking anymore? almbanker
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
one of these "sticky" products that keeps customers around

Return to Top
#2116884 - 02/03/17 01:59 PM Re: Do we need Telephone Banking anymore? almbanker
Bottle Caps Offline
New Poster
I work at a small community bank as well. We still have ours, and it actually gets a lot of usage. I guess it really just depends on your demographic but if you're in a more rural area, it's probably pretty useful if you have customers who don't always have quick and/or reliable Internet access, not to mention the customers who think computers are the devil. :-P

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett