Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#211671 - 07/15/04 08:55 PM Baby feeding
Anonymous
Unregistered

I always felt that breast-feeding in public (at the mall, in restaurants, etc.) was ok, but now that my sister-in-law has become positively militant about it (feeding her 8-month-old every 2 hours, regardless of location) I'm starting to have a change of heart. Opinions?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#211672 - 07/15/04 08:57 PM Re: Baby feeding
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Oh boy, this thread is going to be the new hot button where people are going to really express their opinions and people will start arguing. I'll give mine, I think it should be done very discreetly, don't just "whip it out" in public so all can see.

Return to Top
#211673 - 07/15/04 08:58 PM Re: Baby feeding
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
Quote:

Oh boy, this thread is going to be the new hot button where people are going to really express their opinions and people will start arguing. I'll give mine, I think it should be done very discreetly, don't just "whip it out" in public so all can see.

I totally agree. Do it discreetly.

Return to Top
#211674 - 07/15/04 09:01 PM Re: Baby feeding
Tiger Fan Offline
100 Club
If she is feeding her 8 month old every two hours, it sounds like the child is not getting enough to eat. She probably needs to talk to the Dr.

As far as breast feeding in public, I think it depends on the place. Personally, I do not care to see a woman breast feeding their baby in a restaurant while I am eating. I know it is natural and beneficial to the baby (that is why I breast fed both of my children) but I think you can plan your activities around the baby's schedule. There are times when that is impossible, in which case, please do it discreetly.

Return to Top
#211675 - 07/16/04 03:45 AM Re: Baby feeding
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I am ultra pro breast feeding but I don't like the idea of making others uncomfortable. I nursed for 15 months and got pretty good at doing it with no one knowing it.

Return to Top
#211676 - 07/16/04 12:02 PM Re: Baby feeding
Anonymous
Unregistered

Let me just add one note here:

We give the human baby no credit for having evolved through 3 billion years of natural selection. It knows when and how much it needs to be fed. As it knows when it needs to be picked up and put down. In tribal societies (which are all but free from the kinds of mental disorders we seem to be infecting the majority of our children with), children are allowed to feed when and where they choose. See "The Continuum Concept" by Jean Liedloff

Return to Top
#211677 - 07/16/04 12:19 PM Re: Baby feeding
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I just have to relay this story and will do so without expressing an opinion.
A co-worker's daughter-in-law is breastfeeding her 18 month old. She lifts her shirt (literally) wherever and whenever, the child is big and stands in front of her and suckles when they have family gatherings.
What d'yall think, is this appropriate?

Return to Top
#211678 - 07/16/04 12:28 PM La Leche League International
Anonymous
Unregistered

For an information and education on breastfeeding visit:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/

This is a breastfeeding education and support network for breastfeeding mothers. Please spend some time at this site, it may change your viewpoint on breastfeeding and those that choose to actively breastfeed their children.

Gotta go ... Peace

Return to Top
#211679 - 07/16/04 01:16 PM Re: Baby feeding
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
My hotbutton.
Warning this may be TMI:
I currently am breastfeeding my 9 month old - OK not at this very moment. She eats every 4 hours like clockwork. B/c of her liver problems I don't have a choice (the formula she is "allowed" to have is $30 a can and disgusting!). However, I pump when I am at work – so she can eat while at day care.

In the beginning I was really modest about the feedings – to the point where we were both uncomfortable. I was so worried about what “other” people thought that I tried to time it so I wouldn’t have to feed her out in public, and if we would get stuck somewhere (usually the doctor or the hospital) I was so stressed out by the prospect of someone seeing something that I couldn’t “let down”.

Flash forward to today – she needs a new liver. I’ll be damned if I’m going to let her go hungry b/c someone might be offended. I try to plan for it (packing a bottle). But if that doesn’t work out, I always have a blanket to cover us. Believe me, I am more embarrassed about it that any of the people that may catch a peek – and why are you looking anyway?

Return to Top
#211680 - 07/16/04 01:31 PM Re: Baby feeding
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
A little male perspective.... I have no problem with women nursing their newborns and infants in public. Discretion would be preferable, but little ones get hungry on their own schedule, and given a choice between a happy and unhappy child in public, I take happy every time.

Lil Devil's toddlers, on the other hand, are old enough to wait till Mom can feed them in a private place.

In the end, though, puppy lover's attitude is ok with me - society's phobias about female breast exposure are a little rediculous, anyway.

Return to Top
#211681 - 07/16/04 01:41 PM Re: Baby feeding
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Thanks!
Sorry for the rant.

Return to Top
#211682 - 07/16/04 01:48 PM Re: Baby feeding
Tricia Offline
Gold Star
Smack dab in the middle of IL
I breast feed all three of my children (2 at the same time - twins). I nursed my first child for 9 months and the twins for 6 months. I am all for breatfeeding and I would highly recommend it to any new mother. I feel that breastfeeding is very natural, creates a special bond, and women should not be embarassed (if they breastfeed in public, as long as they do it with discretion). I also feel that there is an appropriate time to stop...when the child can just walk up and help itself, it's time to stop!

Thanks to pbrinker for his male perspective...it's good to hear that men support it too...it's especially important when it's your wife you are supporting!

Return to Top
#211683 - 07/16/04 01:51 PM Re: Baby feeding
Lissa P. Offline
Gold Star
Texas, USA
Like everything else in this life, it can be done with class and taste in a way that would not be annoying or offensive to others.

Return to Top
#211684 - 07/16/04 01:52 PM Re: Baby feeding
OkieOps Offline
Platinum Poster
OkieOps
OK
KCGeoQueen, I just have to say I LOVE your tag line!!

Return to Top
#211685 - 07/16/04 01:54 PM Re: Baby feeding
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Quote:

Thanks to pbrinker for his male perspective...it's good to hear that men support it too...it's especially important when it's your wife you are supporting!

I thought that's what bras were for???

I'm supporting the kids as much as the moms - breast-fed kids tends to be healthier, with fewer illnesses. My son was in day care from the time he was 6 weeks old, but rarely if ever has he been ill. I attribute some of that to the fact that he nursed till he was a year old - kids immune systems are bolstered by breast milk.

Sick kids are not happy - please reference my thoughts about happy kids above. And thir unhappiness is incredibly contagious.

Return to Top
#211686 - 07/16/04 01:57 PM Re: Baby feeding
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Quote:

And their unhappiness is incredibly contagious.

So true.

Return to Top
#211687 - 07/16/04 02:07 PM Re: Baby feeding
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
I applaud and also am envious of those who can in fact breast feed. It is better for the child, but unfortunately my body has yet to produce any amount of milk where that could be the sole option. I did "go through the motions" for the first 3 months in hopes that my children did receive some benefit. I will try once again.

Prior to having children, my husband was a little leary, but after reading up on the benefits and knowing that it can be done discretely he is all for it. There are many ways to make it not so obvious and some people just don't care about that. I guess, if you don't like it or it bothers you, don't watch. I just hope a few don't wreck it for the rest in public places...if done tastefully, most will not even know you are breast feeding.

Return to Top
#211688 - 07/16/04 11:36 PM Re: Baby feeding
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Quote:

Thanks!
Sorry for the rant.

That's ok, I am sure you have needed to get it off your chest for some time.

I think it the most wonderful thing you are doing for your daughter. I hope she is soon blessed with the liver she needs.

Return to Top
#211689 - 07/16/04 11:39 PM Re: Baby feeding
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Quote:

KCGeoQueen, I just have to say I LOVE your tag line!!

Thanks. I am foster mother to 5 kittens right now and they not only think of me as furniture but they also seem to think I am a scratching post. They are ready for adoption if anyone out there would love to give them a home.

Return to Top
#211690 - 07/19/04 12:48 PM Re: Baby feeding
J2C Offline
Diamond Poster
Big Brother knows and that's a...
I think that it is fine as long as you are trying to be discreet. I don't mind it- it is a part of life, but others take offense to seeing a mother feeding her baby in public.

My sister always makes sure she pumps and has bottles ready, should my nephew need a feeding. That way she doesn't offend anyone, and doesn't feel uncomfortable in public.

Return to Top
#211691 - 07/19/04 01:17 PM Re: La Leche League International
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

For an information and education on breastfeeding visit:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/

This is a breastfeeding education and support network for breastfeeding mothers. Please spend some time at this site, it may change your viewpoint on breastfeeding and those that choose to actively breastfeed their children.

Gotta go ... Peace

FYI - This is a male's perspective too.

The benefits of breastfeeding cannot be understated. If you are facing challenges, please call your local La Leche League chapter for support and info.

Gotta go - Peace

Return to Top
#211692 - 07/19/04 01:33 PM Re: Baby feeding
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks!
Sorry for the rant.

That's ok, I am sure you have needed to get it off your chest for some time.

I think it the most wonderful thing you are doing for your daughter. I hope she is soon blessed with the liver she needs.

When the time comes, hopefully I'll be a good match for her to be considered for living liver organ donation.

Return to Top
#211693 - 07/19/04 05:51 PM Re: Baby feeding
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
I can't believe my first post here is about breast feeding!

Let me ask this question to those who think moms shouldn't nurse in public - I don't ask you to have your meals in a public bathroom, why do you expect my child to have hers in there? Until public places install lounges for us to nurse, where exactly are we supposed to feed our babies? I try to bring a bottle when I can, however, if I'm gone for more than 4-5 hours, I still need a place to pump. I'm fortunate to live in a state that passed a law that a mother can nurse her child anywhere that she can bring her child.

I also agree that it should be discreet and that if the child can ask, it's time to wean!

Return to Top
#211694 - 07/19/04 05:58 PM Re: Baby feeding
Anonymous
Unregistered

For what it's worth, this also was from a male:

Quote:

Let me just add one note here:

We give the human baby no credit for having evolved through 3 billion years of natural selection. It knows when and how much it needs to be fed. As it knows when it needs to be picked up and put down. In tribal societies (which are all but free from the kinds of mental disorders we seem to be infecting the majority of our children with), children are allowed to feed when and where they choose. See "The Continuum Concept" by Jean Liedloff

And to add to this, the baby knows when it's done breastfeeding. 3 million years of human evolution mandate this. If babies and mothers didn't have instincts that tell them what they need and when, we quite simply wouldn't be here. Jean Liedloff says something in the book I recommended to the effect of: I would be embarrassed to admit to my tribal friends that where I come from, women don't think they know how to raise children, so they read books on the subject, mainly written by men.

Return to Top
#211695 - 07/19/04 09:41 PM Re: Baby feeding
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm a bit sceptical of using the example of "tribal" societies as though there is something inherently good or natural about them. Without knowing more, my first inclination is to wonder if perhaps their whenever-wherever allowance of breast feeding is motivated less by concern for the health of children, and more a part of a culture that follows a tribal "females are for sex and bearing children only" pattern - a culture often enforced with some rather grisly practices.

Before I'm accused of being xenophobic, I have recently heard from several left-leaning media outlets about attempts to educate immigrant women in the US and Europe about the dangers of women-specific tribal practices.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2