Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#2118006 - 02/13/17 06:33 PM Accepting tax refund cards
M&M Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
My head of Retail asked about having to accept tax refund cards as cash advances. These cards are not embossed- are we required to accept them, just like we'd accept any other card for a cash advance from a customer or a non-customer? Are we bound by our Card processor, which is under a Visa contract?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#2118009 - 02/13/17 06:38 PM Re: Accepting tax refund cards M&M
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
See this thread.

From there:
Originally Posted By BrianC
If you are a MasterCard Issuer, see rule 8.10.1 of the MasterCard Rules:

8.10.1 Nondiscrimination
Rule 8.10.1 of Chapter 8, �Sales Transactions and Cash Disbursements,� is modified to include the following:
Subject to compliance with the Standards, each Customer within the U.S. Region must provide cash disbursement services to all Cardholders at all of the Customer�s offices where teller services are provided.

VISA Issuers should refer to VISA Operating Rules

Each Member, excluding one participating only in the Visa Electron or Plus programs, must make Manual Cash Disbursements to other Issuers' Visa Cardholders from all of its Branches in its Country of Domicile. This includes, but is not limited to, unembossed Visa Cards, and Visa Cards with a generic dentifier or no Cardholder name. This requirement is limited only by applicable law and the Issuer's Cash Disbursement policy.

Thanks Brian for being awesome and posting your answers for me to copy and paste! laugh

Return to Top
#2118171 - 02/14/17 05:36 PM Re: Accepting tax refund cards M&M
M&M Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
Thanks CULady and BrianC!

Return to Top
#2118180 - 02/14/17 05:50 PM Re: Accepting tax refund cards M&M
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
I didn't do any work on this one other than leave a nice trail of breadcrumbs in prior threads, but thank you for the kind words CULady. That really brightened my day!

Return to Top
#2118191 - 02/14/17 06:17 PM Re: Accepting tax refund cards BrianC
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
Originally Posted By BrianC
I didn't do any work on this one other than leave a nice trail of breadcrumbs in prior threads, but thank you for the kind words CULady. That really brightened my day!

Well thank you Brian! As a compliance person, I don't hear that too often! laugh Usually I get the feeling I bring a gray cloud with me...

Return to Top
#2118207 - 02/14/17 07:22 PM Re: Accepting tax refund cards M&M
M&M Offline
Platinum Poster
Midwest
Follow up question on this- we're a Visa issuer. The tax refund cards are American Express. Do our Visa rules still bind us to accept these cards?

Return to Top
#2121298 - 03/09/17 06:36 PM Re: Accepting tax refund cards M&M
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Can we enforce limits on cash advances for non-customers?

Return to Top
#2121304 - 03/09/17 06:55 PM Re: Accepting tax refund cards M&M
Christy Goza Offline
100 Club
Cleveland, TN
I have recently been in the middle of the cash advance credit card issue and will be happy to share what I have learned:

If you have a visa/mc bin, you must offer cash advances to customers and non customers and no discriminatory practices. The cards do not have to be embossed. You can set a daily limit of $5,000 but this limit has to effect customers and non customers. We do not have an American Express bin, so we do not take American Express. If I had my way we would not offer cash advances at all. They scare me to the core and it is astonishing how much we pay out each day to non customers.

There are banks in our area that have put in place discriminatory practices, which drives much of the cash advance business to our offices.

Return to Top
#2121315 - 03/09/17 07:09 PM Re: Accepting tax refund cards M&M
ahkcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Thanks for the information! I know, I wish we did not have to do them. We have experienced some loss lately so we are looking at all options right now.

Return to Top
#2121318 - 03/09/17 07:14 PM Re: Accepting tax refund cards M&M
Christy Goza Offline
100 Club
Cleveland, TN
We have just written some updated cash advance procedures I would be happy to share with you.

Return to Top
#2121341 - 03/09/17 08:38 PM Re: Accepting tax refund cards M&M
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
We have experienced some loss lately so we are looking at all options right now.

If you process that transactions under your merchant services agreement, how can you possibly be suffering losses?

Return to Top
#2121408 - 03/10/17 02:09 PM Re: Accepting tax refund cards M&M
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
So I don't want to keep beating a dead horse in the mouth....but I have a question regarding the MasterCard rules etc. I'll be honest - having to service non-customer cash advances is new to us and something we are going to have to change. With this....we recently stopped doing cash advances all together, customer and non-customer alike, in our drive-thru areas because one of our branch managers stated the liability was higher. After reading all of these posts I now question whether not doing cash advances in our drive thru is ok or not or if we need to again make a change.

Thoughts??

Thanks!

Return to Top
#2121410 - 03/10/17 02:11 PM Re: Accepting tax refund cards Bankwoman1
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Until Brian gets here, I'm going to say that you can limit what services you provide at the drive thru for any reason you like.

Return to Top
#2121412 - 03/10/17 02:15 PM Re: Accepting tax refund cards M&M
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
I kind of had the same thought Ken, as long as we offered the service inside the banking center. We will see if Brian agrees.... smile

Return to Top
#2121447 - 03/10/17 03:37 PM Re: Accepting tax refund cards M&M
BrianC Offline
Power Poster
BrianC
Illinois
A drive up is a convenience center. Mastercard's rule requiring cash advance services at all branches where teller services are provided does not mean that this higher risk transaction must be processed through the drive-up any more than you have to allow customers to try and put 15 pounds of coin through a drive up tube that then gets stuck.

Return to Top
#2121452 - 03/10/17 03:53 PM Re: Accepting tax refund cards M&M
Christy Goza Offline
100 Club
Cleveland, TN
We do not do cash advances at the drive through for customers or non customers. They must come in. This also enables us to get good video of the transaction if needed in the future.

Return to Top
#2121479 - 03/10/17 05:07 PM Re: Accepting tax refund cards M&M
Bankwoman1 Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Great! Thank you both Brian and Christy. This will make my Branch Admin much happier!!

Return to Top