Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#2119401 - 02/24/17 03:30 PM Accepting Transaction Before Posted Bank Hours
Amandak Offline
Wisconsin
Is anyone aware of a rule or guidance that says you are not allowed to run transaction prior to your posted hours. Our openers will come in 20 -30 minutes before our posted drive-up hours to get everything ready for the day. After they have everything ready they will open the drive-up early and help any customers that may come through prior to the posted hours.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#2119507 - 02/24/17 08:23 PM Re: Accepting Transaction Before Posted Bank Hours Amandak
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I don't think you will find a rule or guidance suggesting you can't open the drive-up early. But as I was keying that sentence, I thought of something that might cause a problem. Suppose that Mrs. Jones issued a check to Sammy Smith last night, and wants to stop payment on it. She ties to get through to the bank on the phone, but no one answers the outside lines until the bank is officially open for business. In the meantime, 15 minutes before opening time, Smith cashed the check. Does Mrs. Jones do the Happy Dance? Probably not. What if Mr. and Mrs. Kalabash, who have a joint account with you, had a falling out over breakfast today, and one of them is queued up for a drive-up unofficial early grab at the account balance, and the other parked out front, dutifully waiting for the official branch day to begin? Will Mrs. Kalabash have a claim that you unfairly assisted Mr. Kalabash win the "race to the bank"?

Perhaps neither of those scenarios will place your bank at risk of a suit or adverse publicity. But that's the sort of thing that runs through my mind on a nice Friday afternoon.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#2119518 - 02/24/17 09:00 PM Re: Accepting Transaction Before Posted Bank Hours Amandak
edAudit Offline
Power Poster
edAudit
You are here
Insurance?

CAMS

Return to Top
#2119538 - 02/24/17 09:38 PM Re: Accepting Transaction Before Posted Bank Hours edAudit
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to want a glass of milk. When you don't open early you are going to have yahoos with their nose pushed up against the bullet resistant glass wondering why your personnel are late.

I don't think it's a big deal, I just wouldn't do it.

Return to Top