Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#212066 - 07/16/04 03:48 PM Shopping for Pocket PC
beaten blind Offline
Gold Star
the Bat Cave
My life has gotten insane! Between my bank job and the many meetings and deadlines that go with it, the company my husband and I own with its demands and our 9 year old - I don't seem to know whether I'm coming or going. I thought about a pocket organizer, but I do a lot of emailing related to my business as well as maintain a company website. Therefore, I've decided to buy a pocket pc with wireless internet capabilities to help me accomplish all of my duties without being in either my home office or my bank office. Anyone know anything about these devices that would help with purchasing one?????????????????????

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#212067 - 07/16/04 07:23 PM Re: Shopping for Pocket PC
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
It depends on what you want to do with it as well as plan costs for that wireless. I use my Pocket PC on my wireless network, but not the same as I use my Blackberry for email.

I like the Pocket PC because I can watch videos on it and it has a better version of Word and Excel than my old Palm. But the Palms have come a long way so I wouldn't rule them out.

A search in the threads on PDAs will reveal some past tips and tricks from users, especially Jim Bedsole. Jim even carries a folding keyboard for his Pocket PC. I also use mine to practice PowerPoint presentations as well as doing an occasional short memo or email responses on a plane if I don't want to lug out my laptop.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#212068 - 07/16/04 07:36 PM Re: Shopping for Pocket PC
Poopzilla Offline
Poopzilla
varies... tha world!
www.epinions.com ---> For opinions on what ya want
www.pricewatch.com ---> For the best price on it.

Return to Top
#212069 - 07/16/04 07:45 PM Re: Shopping for Pocket PC
ChicagoGuy Offline
Diamond Poster
ChicagoGuy
Chicago, IL
I have a Palm Tungsten W. It's a great organizer and does offer wireless email and internet through AT&T....soon to be Cingular Wireless. It has very good pocket versions of Word, Excel, etc. Plus, the feature I really like, a built in keyboard. A larger folding keyboard is also available. It's one to consider also.

Return to Top
#212070 - 07/16/04 08:11 PM Re: Shopping for Pocket PC
beaten blind Offline
Gold Star
the Bat Cave
Thanks. I need to synchronize my calender, use email to confirm print ads without having to go home to my office, make changes to my website if necessary, schedule appointments without having to run home and look at my calender, post reminders to pick-up my child (yes, I recently forgot him!!!) and make to-do or shopping lists. I also need to jot down ideas that often come to me when I am waiting in traffic, at the doctor's office, etc.

Return to Top
#212071 - 07/16/04 09:28 PM Re: Shopping for Pocket PC
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I have done most of that on my Pocket PC, less a biggie, HTML editing. I've looked at pages, but never changed code or uploaded them from a PDA. Both Palm and Pocket PC will sync well with most calendars, especially Outlook. Last I looked the Palm had the real edge for Act users.

You might also look at sites like Brighthand and Pocket PC Mag. The former has an extensive forum like BOL where users exchange thoughts. I found that helpful in the past to make sure I knew about service, hardware and software issues. As an example of things you can learn, I originally got my Blackberry from AT&T who I use for the family cellphones. The web browser they have only accepts WAP sites. That was of absolutely no use to me. T-Mobile reads HTML sites though. I could have saved a lot of aggravation. You may also read of constant screen problems and such. That was big when I bought my last PDA and it steered me clear of problems.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top