Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2120881 - 03/07/17 06:51 PM Saturday Rotation/Vacation
MScarn6942 Offline
Platinum Poster
Land Lacking in Lakes, IL
For vacation here, you're hired with 2 weeks, get a third week after 10 years, and a fourth week after 15 years. No carryover or payment of unused time is allowed.

For Saturdays, per policy, you get three "free" per year and no more, meaning you don't have to work your half day. In practice, the tellers get an additional every 8th off (plus their 3 free) and an occasional Monday off. Loan department (3 employees, two are officers) recently started a rotation of every 3rd Saturday off, but they also gave up two of their "free" Saturdays.

What does everyone else do? Especially at the officer level... our Vice President only gets two weeks vacation and falls into the loan department.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#2120894 - 03/07/17 07:26 PM Re: Saturday Rotation/Vacation MScarn6942
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
You must pay a lot of overtime if everyone also has to work 8-5 Monday thru Friday.

Return to Top
#2120946 - 03/07/17 09:53 PM Re: Saturday Rotation/Vacation MScarn6942
MScarn6942 Offline
Platinum Poster
We don't - they get a half day during the week and everyone not salaried gets a day where they're off at 3!

Return to Top
#2120949 - 03/07/17 10:05 PM Re: Saturday Rotation/Vacation MScarn6942
Noncompliant Offline
New Poster
I can't speak for Saturdays because I've never had to work them, but at my former bank employees started with 13 days, and got 5 additional every seven years for a max of 28. So the tiers would be 13, 18, 23, 28.
For higher salary grades, the minimum was bumped up, so the tiers might instead be 18, 18, 23, 28, so there would be no bonus after the first seven years. Executives might have had a different structure of something like 23, 23, 23, 28 or so.

Return to Top
#2120953 - 03/07/17 10:15 PM Re: Saturday Rotation/Vacation MScarn6942
Reg Warrior Offline
100 Club
At my previous FI all non-exempt started with 2 weeks of vacation and 9 sick days and exempt started with 3 weeks of vacation and 9 sick days.. Add another week of vacation every five years.. Unused vacation would rollover year to year and unused sick days would be added to a serious health bank that could be used when your yearly sick days ran out or if you had a health issue that required extended treatment. Those departments that need to work on Saturday had rotating teams. If you worked Saturday, then you had a day off during the week.

Return to Top
#2121031 - 03/08/17 03:39 PM Re: Saturday Rotation/Vacation MScarn6942
Christy Goza Offline
100 Club
Cleveland, TN
After 12 months, employees receive 2 weeks vacation; 5 years = 3 weeks; 10 = 4 weeks; 20 = 5 weeks. Only drive thru tellers work on Saturdays 9-12. Those tellers receive a full day off during the week and they are paid for a full day on Saturday even though they only worked 3 hours. We find this gives a good incentive for working on Saturday and everyone seems happy.

Return to Top
#2121450 - 03/10/17 03:44 PM Re: Saturday Rotation/Vacation MScarn6942
Always In Training Offline
Diamond Poster
Where the Green Grass Grows
Our Saturday hours (drive up only) are on a signup basis with calendars that circulate quarterly internally, and are wildly popular to work. When it goes around, one can only signup one Saturday per month for the quarter on the first signup opportunity. You must find someone to fill your spot or switch during the week leading up to the Saturday. Two tellers and an officer. The officer can be any (non-exe) officer of the bank, but they are their for teller overrides, vault transactions, and misc other things that come up. Our Saturday hours are tracked for overtime, and paid at the hourly rate of highest level of the position slotted. So, if you work as a teller on Saturday, for those hours, you get paid the bank's head/lead teller's hourly pay for those 4 hours. If you work as an officer, you get paid the highest non-exe's officer's hourly rate for those 4 hours.

The overtime rules now currently on hold caused this re-work. It was previously $X for the day for teller 1& 2, $Y for officer, and we were open for 5 hours.

If a teller or an officer is on their 2 week out of station rotation, they can't work on the Saturdays during their rotation.

Whatever you do, when you hire someone, please be truthful about your Saturday requirements. I was hired somewhere as a part-time teller while I was in grad school. When I was interviewed and hired, I was told I would not have to work Saturdays, and I accepted the position. Because I intended to spend Saturdays at the library working on the research and projects that my cohort would do during the week when I was working. When I started I was told that because I was part-time, I was required to work every Saturday until I was promoted to a different position, or I went fulltime. As hard as it is to go through the interview and position fulfillment process, on both sides -- be honest with your applicants, I gave two week notice and the other new hire that started the day after I did also gave two week notice.

Return to Top
#2121484 - 03/10/17 05:14 PM Re: Saturday Rotation/Vacation Always In Training
MScarn6942 Offline
Platinum Poster
Originally Posted By Always In Training
Whatever you do, when you hire someone, please be truthful about your Saturday requirements.

I have to give some credit to our hiring people on this - they're very up front about it. When I interviewed for my position it was probably mentioned to me at least twice per interview (3). I went through a similar thing with a former bank I worked at - they told me that my school schedule would work with the hours they wanted me to work. However, when summer ended and I needed to go back to school, suddenly they were in a panic and wanted me to re-arrange my entire schedule because it "wouldn't work."

It's so important to be truthful and honest with the people we deal with.

Also, Happy Birthday! smile

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry