Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#212099 - 07/16/04 04:29 PM Black Lights/ Counterfeit Items
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have read several places that banks should be using black lights to detect counterfeit checks and currency. I am interested in knowing if other banks are actually using them and for what. Also, if we do use, what are we looking for under the black light? What am I going to see or not see to indicate a counterfeit item? Thanks for you help.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#212100 - 07/16/04 08:06 PM Re: Black Lights/ Counterfeit Items
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I had them installed when I was over Security mainly to verify TX driver's licenses. Under the light you can se what you otherwise wouldn't. Fakes we were seeing did not pass this test. Checks are similar in that it will glow or you'll read "hidden" print, as examples. It is great for validating many items. This is one reason we're offering them in the Banker Store now.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#212101 - 07/16/04 08:41 PM Re: Black Lights/ Counterfeit Items
Meech Offline
New Poster
California Coast
When I was managing a branch we used them for Driver's License and credit card verification. Visa, M/C, Discover and AMEX have special hidden features that when put under a black light you can see them. For example, an American Express cared spells AMEX under black light.

Return to Top
#212102 - 07/19/04 12:01 PM Re: Black Lights/ Counterfeit Items
Anonymous
Unregistered

These black lights are sold in the Bankers Store and were recommended in the Loss on Treasury Items Webinar a week ago. I ordered them, expected some sort of instruction as to how they are used in a bank and what we are looking for, but now I have $70 worth of black lights and no instruction. I really can't distribute these to tellers without being able to tell them what they are for and what they will or will not see on a counterfeit item.

Return to Top
#212103 - 07/19/04 01:27 PM Re: Black Lights/ Counterfeit Items
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Here is one example depicting a Texas DL and how it would appear under a blacklight. In this instance, a DL under the blacklight would show "TEXAS" repeatedly. If it doesn't, the license isn't valid.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#212104 - 07/19/04 01:46 PM Re: Black Lights/ Counterfeit Items
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
Distributed with the materials for the Treasury Checks webinar was a color fact sheet from Treasury about the security features of U.S. Treasury checks. Int he upper right of the sheet is a description of the ultraviolet overprinting scheme used by Treasury to thwart counterfeiting and alterations.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#212105 - 07/19/04 02:30 PM Re: Black Lights/ Counterfeit Items
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the information.

Return to Top
#212106 - 07/19/04 10:13 PM Re: Black Lights/ Counterfeit Items
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
Also, printed currency will "glow" under black lights. Or more specifically, the embedded strip with "USA 50 USA 50..." etc. will glow.

The strip is in different locations on different denominations, and will glow in different colors for different denominations.

Helpful in spotting "washed" bills that are actually a lower value.

Now if I could only remember where I saw the placement / color information... it's probably on the Bureau of Printing and Engraving site. ??? Sorry!

Return to Top