Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#212135 - 07/16/04 05:07 PM ATM Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have a transaction limit of 6 set on our ATM and debit cards, which is for security reasons. In this day and age we are finding that it is creating problems for more and more customers. I am interested in knowing what limits other banks have set?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#212136 - 07/16/04 05:10 PM Re: ATM Limits
Wore Out Offline
Platinum Poster
Wore Out
Kentucky
Is that 6 w/d's per day, per month...is there a limit on credit purchase with debit card? Also, do you have monetary thresholds on those w/d's?

Return to Top
#212137 - 07/16/04 05:18 PM Re: ATM Limits
Tricia Offline
Gold Star
Smack dab in the middle of IL
Quote:

Is that 6 w/d's per day, per month...is there a limit on credit purchase with debit card? Also, do you have monetary thresholds on those w/d's?

I was wondering the same thing Qtip!

My bank doesn't have a limit on the number of transactions, but we do have a monetary limits...$200 per day for ATM and $500 per day for debit card purchases.

Return to Top
#212138 - 07/16/04 05:20 PM Re: ATM Limits
Wore Out Offline
Platinum Poster
Wore Out
Kentucky
Tayles,

Ours is practically the same. It's all monetary and not per transaction.

Return to Top
#212139 - 07/16/04 05:55 PM Re: ATM Limits
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Unless you are allowing this to be tied to a limited withdrawal savings account, I have not heard of this. It is usually a dollar limit that is established. With the frequent use of cards today, this wouldn't be logical to me out of a DDA.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#212140 - 07/16/04 06:31 PM Re: ATM Limits
Greg Offline
Platinum Poster
Michigan
Quote:

Unless you are allowing this to be tied to a limited withdrawal savings account, I have not heard of this. It is usually a dollar limit that is established. With the frequent use of cards today, this wouldn't be logical to me out of a DDA.

I agree with Andy. When we started issuing debit cards a number of years ago we had a daily transaction limit but it defeated the purpose - by the time you fill both cars with gas, hit a couple grocery stores, the movies and a restaurant you're done with the debit card until the next cycle so here come the $5 & $10 checks through proof. We set a dollar limit of $300 and dumped the 6 transaction limit and I've seen customers do 8 - 10 debits in one day and not hit $300!

Return to Top
#212141 - 07/16/04 06:58 PM Re: ATM Limits
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the responses. Initially when we started offering debit cards, possibly the trend was to set transaction limits, however, in this day and age, it is not feasible. I think it is time we reconsider. Thanks again.

Return to Top
#212142 - 07/16/04 07:00 PM Re: ATM Limits
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
If the dollar amount is not also limited, you haven't reduced your risk, just your income, assuming you have fee/interchange income from these.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#212143 - 07/16/04 09:04 PM Re: ATM Limits
SHORT STUFF Offline
SHORT STUFF
WISCONSIN
We have 10 transactions per day and their pre-set spending limit of $510.

Return to Top
#212144 - 07/16/04 09:10 PM Re: ATM Limits
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
That would seem low at Christmas.

Return to Top
#212145 - 07/19/04 10:01 PM Re: ATM Limits
SHORT STUFF Offline
SHORT STUFF
WISCONSIN
With officer approval, we can do increases in limits with corresponding balances. Either temporary or permanent.

Return to Top