Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#2121587 - 03/10/17 09:25 PM Marijuana related busnesses
Beachbum, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Knee Deep in Regs
I can't believe PA bankers are not blowing-up this forum with questions about banking marijuana related businesses yet smile
let me start the conversation.
For those banks that have already had the conversation with their boards, what questions will you be asking at the time of account opening to determine the level of risk for businesses that may have an in-direct interest or revenue stream from licensed marijuana related businesses?

Return to Top
#2121678 - 03/13/17 03:21 PM Re: Marijuana related busnesses Beachbum, CRCM
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Not from PA but our state also has made medical marijuana legal but since it is still illegal according to federal law and we are a federally regulated bank we have chosen to not bank marijuana related businesses. Why go through the brain damage, extra work, and potential legal risk?

Return to Top
#2121680 - 03/13/17 03:46 PM Re: Marijuana related busnesses Beachbum, CRCM
Beachbum, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Knee Deep in Regs
Thank you Rockchucker, A follow-up question- Do you make any determination at account opening as to whether a new customer has an indirect relationship with an MRB? (example, payroll company that provides payroll service for MRB employees)

Return to Top
#2121681 - 03/13/17 03:53 PM Re: Marijuana related busnesses Beachbum, CRCM
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
That really gets pretty hard. What about Home Depot or Walmart that sells fertilizer or the mom and pop hardware store that sells drip irrigation. How in the world are you going to slice and dice your other customers that deeply.

Return to Top
#2121682 - 03/13/17 03:56 PM Re: Marijuana related busnesses Beachbum, CRCM
Beachbum, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Knee Deep in Regs
yes, that is one of the questions we are trying to answer. are other banks " dicing" based on percentage of annual income derived from marijuana related businesses?

Return to Top
#2121753 - 03/13/17 07:21 PM Re: Marijuana related busnesses Beachbum, CRCM
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
We don't typically dig into indirect relationships but if we happen to start getting lots of cash activity or some other odd activity we will look into it and make a determination at that time. Like Randy said, indirect relationships is really tricky. I try to remind myself that contrary to many examiners opinions we are not law enforcement.

Return to Top
#2121786 - 03/13/17 08:20 PM Re: Marijuana related busnesses Beachbum, CRCM
Beachbum, CRCM Offline
Gold Star
Knee Deep in Regs
Thank you both.

Return to Top