Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2123244 - 03/23/17 02:11 PM Deny or Not to Deny on a Lost File
gcompliance Offline
New Poster
A loan officer recently retired and while cleaning out his office we found a few older files where he pulled credit on a borrower and based on that information the file should have been submitted for denial. This file was dated 4 months ago. At this point we don't think we should be sending out a denial letter this late in the game but am wondering if we should at least deny the loan internally and report it as a denied loan for HMDA purposes.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#2123246 - 03/23/17 02:14 PM Re: Deny or Not to Deny on a Lost File gcompliance
raitchjay Offline
Power Poster
OK
I would deny and send out the AAN even at this late date. From the perspective of an examiner looking at it, i'd rather be able to say we identified it and sent it out, even very late, than we found it and did nothing. JMO.

Return to Top
#2123247 - 03/23/17 02:15 PM Re: Deny or Not to Deny on a Lost File gcompliance
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Don't understand why you think you shouldn't communicate the denial to the applicant. Yes you're past the 30 days but what if that applicant is still waiting to hear something? I'd send the AAN and definitely report for HMDA.

Return to Top
#2123250 - 03/23/17 02:22 PM Re: Deny or Not to Deny on a Lost File gcompliance
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I can assure you if you do not send the AAN when the examiner finds it they will have you send it out and then most likely have you do a file review to make sure you don't have any others laying around in the past 25 months. If you do you will get to send out those AANs as well.

So: "..i'd rather be able to say we identified it and sent it out, even very late, than we found it and did nothing".

Return to Top
#2123258 - 03/23/17 02:41 PM Re: Deny or Not to Deny on a Lost File gcompliance
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
I'm a four-peat - send it out with an apology the file had been inadvertently misplaced. Also see if you can verify that any decision was communicated. If those are spotted without an explanation, the examiners will beat the bank up, like Dan mentioned.

It's another reason to track credit bureaus and match to applications/renewals, etc., besides looking for prescreening
Last edited by Rocky P; 03/23/17 02:42 PM. Reason: Capitalize the D in Dan's name.

Return to Top
#2123350 - 03/23/17 07:25 PM Re: Deny or Not to Deny on a Lost File gcompliance
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
I agree....send the AAN with an apology letter. Chances are, the denial WAS communicated to the applicant verbally but there is so much information on an Adverse Action Notice that the applicant is entitled to receive. This exact scenario happened at my former bank. A loan officer was fired and dozens of files were discovered in the officer's desk drawer, complete with credit reports, some with tax returns. The task was assigned to compliance and I prepared and mailed about 45 denials with letters.....yep, I did.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z