Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2123263 - 03/23/17 02:49 PM SAR Filing Question
Sherri B Offline
New Poster
Question on an SAR I'm trying to complete. I have an elder exploitation case involving wire fraud. I'm listing all the individuals that received money from the elderly man as suspect as I know we cant include the elderly man as a suspect but reference him in the narrative. I just had new information brought to me regarding this case that should be included on this SAR, but I would have to include him as a suspect. He took out cash (also structured) for what I believe to bring to another bank to wire out more money as he doesn't think he's being scammed. Would I include him as a suspect in the elder abuse SAR and detail in the narrative my reason behind it, or file a new SAR, and reference the elder abuse SAR in the new SAR with the cash activity? Sorry if this is confusing! Any insight you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2123279 - 03/23/17 03:20 PM Re: SAR Filing Question Sherri B
Midwest BSA Offline
Yuck. If it were me, I'd probably just do 1 SAR since it's all tied together. List him as a subject, but be sure to explain your reasoning in the narrative. That's most likely the cleanest way to do it.

Return to Top
#2123291 - 03/23/17 04:04 PM Re: SAR Filing Question Sherri B
bcompliance Offline
Diamond Poster
I agree with 1 SAR. Did the people who are taking advantage of him advise him to structure the funds from the other bank? That may also play a part in the subject vs. narrative scenario.

Return to Top
#2123315 - 03/23/17 05:58 PM Re: SAR Filing Question Sherri B
RockChucker, CAMS Offline
Diamond Poster
The Country
Agree, 1 SAR should be sufficient and just make sure your narrative covers all the details.

Good luck.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z