Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#2123298 - 03/23/17 04:27 PM Towing Company - CTR Exemption
Calmeida12 Offline
100 Club
Has anyone been criticized for exempting towing companies? Thank you.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#2123432 - 03/24/17 02:10 PM Re: Towing Company - CTR Exemption Calmeida12
Wildcat Rampage Offline
Kentucky - Home of the 8 time ...
I think the larger question is - how common is cash in the towing business?

I would expect towing companies to be mostly paid with check and debit, and quite often to be paid by insurance companies. If there is a large operation with many trucks that will only do business for cash, I would think you could document their business model and then as long as your due diligence supports your decision you should be able to defend yourself.

Return to Top
#2123702 - 03/27/17 02:03 PM Re: Towing Company - CTR Exemption Calmeida12
banker1976 Offline
Gold Star
Mid-Atlantic
We have not had towing companies as exempt customers, but I can relate that I worked part time (up until 3 years ago) in the office of a towing company having worked there six years, and payment was almost always exclusively debit/credit card.

Return to Top
#2123730 - 03/27/17 03:24 PM Re: Towing Company - CTR Exemption Calmeida12
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
The issue is well formed; cash would be an unusual method of payment for a towing company. I would have sit down with a towing company that was depositing reportable amounts of currency and just chat about their business; e.g. how many calls a day, a week, average fee, etc. If every customer paid in cash, that would still mean 51 $200 tows in a day.

A towing company for semi's and semi tractors might have different sets of numbers and payment methods, dunno.

Return to Top
#2123842 - 03/27/17 07:35 PM Re: Towing Company - CTR Exemption Calmeida12
Dani York, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
Dani York, CRCM
TN
Make a site visit as well. You'll most likely find they are engaging in other business activities.

We have a "towing company" customer who engages in large cash transactions. After discussions and a site visit, we found he was also operating as a used car dealer under the towing company name. We changed his classification to car dealer (not exempt) and elevated to high risk.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z